Trailer tub as truck bed?

Jp just did it and i've seen that on other sites.  Basically ditch the bed from a truck and graft on the tub from a military trailer.  the first one I saw was on a toyota hilux based in Australia and the trend is making its way to the US.    Anyone see this?

Now i see what you meant. For a full size that looks like it would work very well and be functional as well. I doubt you could use that on one of my Dakotas. The pic i posted is from D.K Hostetler, in Milroy, Pa. They are the parent company for Bri-Mar trailers, and they also make utility beds for trucks, and i have seen people use the Bri-Mar dump trailer box and modify it to fit on a pickup. They have a whole range of fullsize truck beds an utility boxes, but they will also custom make any box you want, to fit almost any midsize or full size.

• Administrators

Looks functional and rugged.  Would be a much heftier and substantial bed than the OEM sheet metal!  Could see this catching on, there's the dump option that Biggman100 talks about, too! 

This would be for 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks, apparently, and there's the added weight factor.  How much does the bare bed weigh? 

If you look at this bed on a pickup long enough, it grows on ya!

• Administrators

Single wall meaning less gauge than an OEM bed?  What sheet gauge and weight are we talking about here?  Is this a tough bed or is it more vulnerable to cargo dents and dings?  You hint about "secure ur load"...Looks or utility?

Moses

my current pack mule trailer was single wall and was susceptible to and did suffer major dings from cargo sliting around in the bed, leaving ugly convex dings to exterior.  when it underwent the recent transformation I skinned the tub interior with light weight aluminum sheets so no more worries.  Do not have direct info on the posted pic project.  Hauling large, loose items could potentially cause damage-- like axles, engine parts, big rocks, etc. 

Despite that, i like the cool factor and offers up something different.  I'd add a wooden hoop set to the tub to cover/enclose it in canvas.  

• Administrators

Ah, you did hint about the "Down Under" emphasis on Toyota and the Tacoma...Nice vehicles, pricey but longevity bent, etc.  Serviceability is difficult and parts costs run high, brace yourself, you're moving away from a "domestic"... 

Moses

This is off topic, but doing research on issues with my truck compared to the taco, taco wins.  I'm this week replacing for the third time the oil coolant lines in as many years.  OEM knows they fail and its not practical to have custom lines made.  Front steering components have again failed from regular street wear (pitman arms seem to go fast) and i'm tired of 7-10 mpg.  

Asked my trusted mechanic how often he sees trucks like mine coming in for repairs, service, etc.:  often.  How often does he see a Tacoma in for needed work?  Other than oil changes: never.

on rubicon in setpember, saw a long string of well equipped tacomas come thru and was impressed with the trail performance and interior comfort.  when fuel pump died earlier this year in the black rock and left the jeep at a local ranch, got a ride back up to homestead in a built taco-- that sold me.

looking for one only driven on sundays by an old widow.

further off topic:  11/2  i am leading a trail ride from reno to sardine peak, location of a long closed fire look out facility.  Owners are planning to R&R it into a rental.  Fantastic location.  Best part?  there is a gate about a mile below the old tower and guess who has a key?  (hint hint)  Then we'll explore the adjacent bear valley camp ground and popular bear valley ohv loop with some interesting features.  All takes place about 12 miles north of Truckee.  ur invited!

• Administrators

Off-topic, for sure, but interesting nonetheless!...I'm okay with the overall reliability of the Tacoma, what I'm talking about is when they eventually need major service, and they do, what it costs, comparatively, to repair, rebuild or restore a Toyota truck.  (We can move this to the Toyota section and warm up the conversation a bit.)  I like Toyota trucks very much; however, the cost of admission to the club is high and eventual maintenance costs can be exorbitant.  Some of these trucks make the 300K Club (usually older models with less exotica), others break the bank along the way... 

Try this:  Do a comparison of rebuild and repair costs for a comparable G.M. truck versus a Tacoma or Tundra; i.e., the engine, the transmission, the transfer case, an axle rebuild, brake work, steering gear, etc...I'm curious about the estimates for each make.  Also price the desirable add-on accessories costs for a Tacoma versus Jeep, Ram, G.M. or Ford 4x4 trucks...

Sounds like we'll be seeing you in a Tacoma soon, so you'll be able to compare firsthand...Let's trust you'll find that creampuff with very low mileage and a clean CarFax...

Bear Valley and the lookout will be a blast, I'm sure, especially with your trail guiding!  I'll be en route to the SEMA Show on the other end of the state, would much rather see the leaves in color at the Sierra high country...Be safe and have fun with that one!  Would like to do this as a day run on our Honda XR650Rs before the snow flies...Thanks much for the invite, Mark, perhaps other forum members will be able to join the fun, Bear Valley is a fantastic setting, especially this time of year!

Moses