I've got an ih loadstar 1600 4x4 truck. I'm wondering how I can tell what axles it has in front. The pinion shaft broke and I'm looking for a replacement. If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it. The vin is D0612GHA27309 if that helps  

• Administrators

rcl118...Below is information from a useful VIN decoding website: http://www.vinwiz.com/. Note the reference to the time-honored LST (I-H Line Setting Ticket).  If you have the line ticket, please provide us with a front axle code, we can break that down.  If you don't have the Line Setting Ticket, try getting one from I-H for future parts referencing.

Otherwise, there may be tags still on the front axle, typically on the differential cover bolts.  This could include the I-H axle code and also the ratio.  See if there are any tags with numbers.  Also, Dana/Spicer axles have the size cast onto the housing, typically near the diff flanges at the center section: Should be something like 60, 70 or such for your 1600.  If this is a Dana/Spicer axle, tags can quickly identify the type and ratio.  Take photos of the front axle and its center section, I can help identify the type.  Post your photos at this topic.

As for a ring and pinion set, you will need both the ring gear and matching pinion gear/shaft, whether new or used, you need to know the tooth count and ratio.  Let's first identify the axle design, axle origin/manufacturer and series.

Glad to assist if you can provide this information...

Moses

VIN Format: 1975-1980 International Heavy Truck

Decoding: D0612GHA27309

Digit Usage VIN Decoded
1-4 Model D061 Unknown!
5 Engine 2 gas (345/392 V8, etc)
6 Year G 1977
7 Plant H Springfield, Ohio (Loadstar, Fleetstar, etc.)
8 Line A Loadstar/Cargostar/Transtar
9-13 Sequential Serial # 27309 27309

[You can find more detailed information by locating the Line Setting Ticket (LST) in the vehicle
It is possible to order a copy of the LST if you cannot find it.]

• Administrators

rcl118...You're "golden" as the saying goes!  You have the LST...Is there an axle ratio listed for either the front or rear axle?  If not, you can count the ring and pinion tooth count (each) when apart.

Your front axle is a Dana 70 HDF (Heavy Duty Front) series, somewhat common on commercial use 4x4s of medium-duty size like your 1600.   The Dana 70 and 70 HD are also fairly common rear axle applications.  The 6000# is the axle's load rating in pounds.

You do have an additional concern when getting a new ring-and-pinion gear set with bearings:  The axle's pinion shaft center line.  Dana front axles (rear, too) can have a low mounted pinion, centered pinion or a "high pinion";  high pinion is popular on 4x4 front axles to reduce the drop in the driveline angle.  Verify which type pinion position you have here.

If you have difficulty determining the pinion shaft mounting position, take a quick pic of the front axle from the backside (driveshaft side).  I'll identify the axle/pinion type if you post a photo.

Quality ring-and-pinion "kits" that include bearings, seals and shims are available in the marketplace (online sources), based upon the pinion position and gear ratio.  The axle is popular enough (trucks, farm equipment, etc.) for good parts coverage.

Fitting new gears and bearings will require that you follow factory service steps for the Dana 70 axle.  Spicer (Dana) has a service manual that would work here and may be available as a download.  The I-H shop manual covers this axle as does Motors and Chilton professional-level truck manuals of the 1977 era.

Moses

• 2 weeks later...

It says further down diff carr 6.17 so I'm assuming it's 6.17 gears. It will be a little while before I can get pictures but I want to say it was centered. Is there anyway to just replace the pinion shaft? It just broke right inside the housing. If not where is a good place to get the parts and the service manual? 

Thanks 

• Administrators
On 10/11/2016 at 11:01 AM, Moses Ludel said:

rcl118...

Quality ring-and-pinion "kits" that include bearings, seals and shims are available in the marketplace (online sources), based upon the pinion position and gear ratio.  The axle is popular enough (trucks, farm equipment, etc.) for good parts coverage.

Fitting new gears and bearings will require that you follow factory service steps for the Dana 70 axle.  Spicer (Dana) has a service manual that would work here and may be available as a download.  The I-H shop manual covers this axle as does Motors and Chilton professional-level truck manuals of the 1977 era.

Moses

This is a common axle design.  I have Motors professional series truck shop manuals that cover rebuilding a Dana 70 axle.  Spicer/Dana has printed service manuals.  The I-H factory shop manual, a good item to have for your model and year, would also cover this axle build...Used automotive shop manuals are available at eBay and online at book stores like Faxon:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/

An axle with miles on it means that the pinion gear has a wear pattern with the original ring gear.  It is always recommended that you replace the ring-and-pinion gears as a matched set.  Pinion gear heads are factory marked for their pinion depth in the housing.  The most critical step when setting up an axle is the pinion gear depth in the housing.  All other steps rely upon proper pinion depth.

Note: You can work with the broken pinion gear's factory markings and the markings on the new pinion gear to get the preliminary, and usually accurate, pinion depth setting.  Shop manuals have charts with the pinion markings; these charts share how to interpret the depth/shim requirements.

If you are very hard pressed and must use older gears, make sure you use a ring and pinion matched gear set.  You would need to carefully paint (titanium dioxide or axle markup paint) the ring gear teeth and precisely match the original ring-and-pinion tooth contact pattern; make sure you reestablish the same relationship (backlash and tooth contact pattern) between the used ring and pinion gear set.  The Dana 70 is an integral axle, and the only other option would be installing a "good used" complete and matching axle.  "Good" and "used" are often at odds with each other.

Parts should be available through Dana/Spicer parts sources and may also interchange with Ford, GM and other I-H applications.  As I shared, once you determine the pinion and housing relationship (low-, centered or high-pinion design), you can hunt for gears.  If you cannot find them, contact Yukon Gear, Randy's, Revolution Gear or Spicer/Dana.

Moses

• Administrators

Hi, rcl118...The vintage Motors Truck manuals circulate as used books; they contain a lot of professional level information, especially the older editions.  It's assumed that the reader/tech knows professional procedures.  (There are also period Chilton Truck series manuals available.)  The Motors or Chiltons light truck/van manuals will not work for your medium duty I-H Loadstar, which you likely have discovered.  Your best overall resource would be an official 1977 era I-H Shop Manual for medium duty trucks.

Here is an excerpt  from my Motors Truck Manual, 33rd Edition/1980.  This is the only information on Spicer axles in the book.  Note that the torque/tightening specifications are not included and that the steps cover a range of axles, including the Spicer/Dana 70.  This information is a somewhat generic overview that will help you determine whether you want to proceed with the rebuild.  The tear down and assembly steps are clear and orderly:

Spicer Truck Axle Specs and Rebuilding Details Courtesy Motors Truck Manual 33rd Edition.pdf

If available, I would source an official (used) I-H manual for the medium duty trucks of the 1975-79 era, this would certainly cover your model.  Close enough to contain your specific axle.  Here's a '79 manual currently available at eBay as an example.  You might query the seller on the I-H models/series covered and whether the Spicer/Dana 70 axle receives thorough coverage or not.  Make sure the 1600 Loadstar is included, '79 was the last model like yours:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IH-International-Truck-Service-Manual-Vol-1-Loadstar-Cargostar-CTS-2315-ca-1979-/142151193121?hash=item2118df1221:g:4U4AAOSwxKtYBAdl&vxp=mtr

I found this manual with a two-minute search...Price seems reasonable, but this is only Volume 1 of an apparent series.  The book does cover axles.

Moses