Recently purchased a 1210 pickup. It has a lot of rust in the frame back aft, but otherwise it seems like a strong yard/plow truck. Grew up with a scout woods vehicle but it had the 4 cyl. This pickup I believe has the 345 v8. Someone swapped radiators and has clipped the front brake lines.  Truck runs strong after some tinkering. Motor seems to be in good shape despite most of the header bolts rust-fused in place. What I would like to know is this... Inside the door, the sticker says produced by international harvester in augustAugust 1970. The grill is plastic, leadin me to think it is a 71. Without the line sheet, I don't know. Can the vin tell me anything? 143208h310374 where do I look for front and or rear drum brake parts for this rig? I have attached some photos.  Thanks!image.jpgimage.jpg

• Administrators

A timepiece, Maineboatbuilder!  Thanks for sharing and joining us at the forums...Should be a 1971 built at Springfield.

Front looks good...Sorry to hear about the frame rust.  What will you do with the rust issue?

Most brakes parts (shoes, hold-down hardware and wheel cylinders) will still be available through sources like NAPA.  Cross-referencing will help, I-H is common brake components typically outsourced from Bendix.  Considering the vintage, drums could be a bit challenging if you cannot resurface the originals.

If you need any part numbers for brake pieces, let me know.

Moses

Welded on a few 32" pieces of 3x3 3/8" angle iron under the really weak spots. I found some spring hangers in the local junk yard that should suffice. Looks like the drums are fine yet all other brakes in nerds are gone and front brake lines crimped off?? The drums are 12 inch, does bendix offer a full kit, lines etc. minus the drum? Thank you for your time.

• Administrators

Good news, Maineboatbuilder...A savvy NAPA parts counter person can work with your original parts and find the replacement pieces you need:  wheel cylinders, brake shoes, hold-down hardware and even the brake tubing or hoses.  If they cannot find part numbers for OEM parts that need identification, let me know.  I have guides and access to factory part numbers for your truck.  NAPA should have catalogs with your parts and the interchange brake parts.

Brake tubing is available preformed with double flare ends and flare nuts already in place.  Again, NAPA has this tubing if the store is well-equipped.  You simply get assembled (generic) lengths of brake tubing that meet your chassis length requirements.  There are also brake-rated hydraulic fittings available (Weatherhead brand); be sure to use brake grade components and not the lesser engine-related brass fittings!  Brake grade only...

Brake hoses are a bit more involved, as the length, fitting ends and sizing is important.  NAPA has catalogs full of OEM descriptions and part numbers plus illustrations that can help you replicate parts where the originals are not available.  CarQuest, if you get past the lower end of the store and find someone who knows fleet truck operations, may be another parts source.  I've seen professional grade fleet service parts catalogs in the CarQuest system.

Try your local NAPA or CarQuest store's fleet truck service expert.  Your 1210 has common enough brake parts, primarily Bendix, that can be serviced.

Moses