My 64 Scout has a 1904 carb that I have rebuilt and gone thru a couple of times but can't get it to quit flooding gas out of the "vent" hole on the top. I was going to replace it with a aftermarket but the choke linkage is 180 degrees off compared to mine. I had thought that I found a used one on ebay but it turns out there are two different size flanges that mount to the motor and that one doesn't fit. I have taken mine off and on so many times that now the fuel line is stripped and won't tighten. I am really tired of messing with it and just won't something that will work. Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

• Administrators

retiredfire...See my comments in red below.  Let me know if that helps...Moses

13 hours ago, retiredfire said:

My 64 Scout has a 1904 carb that I have rebuilt and gone thru a couple of times but can't get it to quit flooding gas out of the "vent" hole on the top. I was going to replace it with a aftermarket but the choke linkage is 180 degrees off compared to mine. I had thought that I found a used one on ebay but it turns out there are two different size flanges that mount to the motor and that one doesn't fit. I have taken mine off and on so many times that now the fuel line is stripped and won't tighten. I am really tired of messing with it and just want something that will work. Any help would be appreciated.

The 1904 Holley carburetor was common on Ford 215 and 223 inline six truck and passenger car engines and IHC truck engines from the fifties into the sixties.  The 1904 was fitted to the I-H BD and SD 220 and 240 inline sixes.  Engines as large as the I-H BD 282 inline six also used this carburetor.  However, the jetting, throttle body (as you discovered) and other parts vary with these engine applications.  So simply finding a Holley 1904 carburetor is not enough. 

You would need the tag number to narrow down the original engine application.  From there, the jetting and other features can be sorted out.  If your engine is a 152, the carburetor from a Ford 215 (1952-53) or 223 ('54 to '64), or an I-H BD 220, might be close.  Again, jetting would need to be compared.  Between your current carburetor and the other core, you might have the parts to build a useful carburetor.

Do you have the carburetor tag for your 1904?  Do you have access to other 1904 carburetors?  Many parts do interchange between 1904 carburetors.  The tag number is the key to which parts your carburetor has.  The metering block and jetting must be right for the 152 engine size...Share what you have here.  I can identify the carburetor's application and provide tag numbers for other applications.

There are new "universal" 1904 carburetors available online.  These appear to be off-shore knock-offs and fit engines to 250 cubic inches, including the early Ford Falcon or Mopar slant sixes.  Price is around $400, and there is no guarantee that the jetting or metering block would be suitable for your 152 engine.  I shy away from "universal" carburetors, especially off-shore replicas, as they usually mimic tuning for a specific engine prototype that may not be close to your engine's size.  A 152 to 250 cubic inches is a wide spread!  For that reason and cost, I'd likely rebuild a genuine Holley carburetor from an engine close to the 152's displacement.  In this case, the Ford 215 would be an example if a good core could be found and the base pattern is the same as your 152.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Thanks for the reply Moses. I started tearing down the one that I bought off of ebay today and the only thing that I find that I'm not sure about is when I take the two screws out of the fuel regulator, one has a bigger ball in it and the other has a smaller ball with a larger ball on top. From what i am seeing there should be a weight on top of the smaller ball. This makes me wonder if someone rebuilt it and either lost the weight or whatever but put the larger ball on top of the smaller one for the same affect. As far as plates with numbers there aren't any on my original one or the one that I bought.

• Administrators

retiredfire...A 1904 has the application part number stamped into the main body just inboard of the float bowl cover near the fuel inlet.  The stamping should be at the top, right next to the bowl cover on that casting flange.  See whether you can find a number.  I can verify if the carburetor(s) are original or from other engine applications.  As for the check ball(s), I can provide a detailed parts schematic for the 1904 that would clarify here.  A quality rebuild kit will have instructions with a parts diagram as well.

I have a Holley Master Catalog that covers postwar through the early eighties.  I can furnish OEM stamping numbers for a 152.  A typical Scout 152 carburetor number would be something like "R-2494A" or "R-2494AAS".  Let me know the stamping numbers on the two carburetors.  We can go from there.  If you need a parts schematic for the check ball issue, let me know...Moses