1978 Jeep CJ California Emissions Requirements

I bought a 1978 CJ7 out of Arizona and brought it to California.  Before I go through the process of registering it, I'd like to understand what I need to do for emissions and what it might cost.  The Jeep has changed hands many times, so I don't know where it started life.  I believe it has the original motor and transmission.  Vin decoder matches.  258 single barel carb and 3 speed transmission.  

The engine has a smog pump and exhaust manifold collectors.  It does not have a CAT or O2 sensor in the exhaust system.  Some dangling wires but not all hacked up.  

I've looked on line, but unable to find a full layout of what I need.  Wiring diagrams don't show O2 sensors, so maybe that's not required.  I have found evap canister routing and mapping.  

If its a emission 49 vehicle, will I need to meet California standards or can my vehicle be stock to where it was sold?

Where do I start, what do I do?

Thanks,  Jon

• Administrators

Jon73...You picked a good model year and chassis...A straightforward overview of California requirements for your Jeep and other vehicles is at https://www.bar.ca.gov/consumer/smog-check-program/faq.  You will be required to "smog check" the Jeep for registration.  The FAQ talks about the pre-test that is available, which would determine which parts are either missing or needed.  Beyond this, see my comments below (red highlighted):

11 hours ago, jon73 said:

I bought a 1978 CJ7 out of Arizona and brought it to California.  Before I go through the process of registering it, I'd like to understand what I need to do for emissions and what it might cost.  The Jeep has changed hands many times, so I don't know where it started life.  I believe it has the original motor and transmission.  Vin decoder matches.  258 single barrel carb and 3 speed transmission.

Arizona does have smog requirements, though I'm not clear what model years are no longer required to smog.  For California, 1976-up model years still must test and pass smog.  

Two significant identifiers would be the VIN (your research) and the decal(s) under the hood.  If the decals are original and not deleted, an EPA-only decal (without a California decal) indicates a 49-State vehicle.  If your Jeep is a "Federal" (EPA) emissions 49-State model, you will only be required to restore its original equipment.

There was originally a catalytic converter and unleaded fuel restrictor in the fuel filler tube on all six-cylinder 1978 Jeep CJs.  In 1979, California models used a monolithic and a pellet catalytic converter.  (The monolithic cat is a part of the exhaust head pipe.)  Your vehicle may have been "49-State" or "50-State", so look for the head pipe monolithic cat and other features.

The air pump sounds like the AMC "Air Guard" system that feeds through a diverter valve and into the exhaust manifold via tubes.  You need the diverter valve, hoses, tubes and the air pump...Equipment that came on your 1978 Jeep CJ-7 with a 258 inline six—either Federal version or Federal-plus-California, is similar.  There should be an EGR system on either system routed through a coolant temperature vacuum switch (CTO).

The engine has a smog pump and exhaust manifold collectors.  It does not have a CAT or O2 sensor in the exhaust system.  Some dangling wires but not all hacked up.

Your vehicle is in the cat era but not yet an electronic "feedback" carburetor and ignition (typically 1981-up for Jeep) that required an O2 sensor. You would not have an O2 sensor in 1978...You do need the Thermal Air Cleaner (TAC) in place and functional.  There was an elaborate carburetor device for cooling the float bowl after shut-down.  (This may not have plagued your 1978 model.) 

Most emissions tests on older vehicles fail the visual inspection for items like the air cleaner or even simple things like the foil tube to the exhaust manifold, a non-functional exhaust heat riser or a missing EVAP canister

A California smog station will go over your vehicle with a list of items that must be in place and functioning, including the evaporative emissions system components and the fuel tank EVAP hoses.  A bad/non-sealing gas cap can fail an emissions test.  Engine vacuum hoses and thermal vacuum switches are other red flags.  You also need a properly routed PCV system (closed crankcase).

The choke must be original (not an aftermarket hand choke kit) and functional.  This is a concern for both the visual inspection and practical side of a tailpipe test for CO, HC and NOx.  A choke partially closed will not meet tailpipe emissions. 

While this all sounds dire, it's mainly the visual inspection that counts.  The engine in good operating condition, tuned properly and with all original emissions hardware intact will pass the tailpipe emissions test levels for an older vehicle.  California does not expect your vehicle to meet its OEM emissions levels when new.  There is an allowance for vehicles as they age.

I've looked on line, but unable to find a full layout of what I need.  Wiring diagrams don't show O2 sensors, so maybe that's not required.  I have found evap canister routing and mapping.

Yep, you will need to get the EVAP system to pass both the visual inspection and a vacuum test.  If the canister is clogged or defective, a new or good used one will be required.  You won't need an 02 sensor even if a catalytic converter is required.  A 1978 CJ Jeep has no "computer" or engine sensor/control module.  There is a "timer" on the carburetor bowl cooler.  It's questionable whether a vehicle would fail for not having the cooler operational.

If its a emission 49 vehicle, will I need to meet California standards or can my vehicle be stock to where it was sold?

You are not expected to convert a 1978 49-State vehicle into a 1978 50-State vehicle.  If 49-State, it must have OEM emissions equipment in place and pass the tailpipe test.  There are referee stations and other California remedies available when parts to restore a vehicle's emission system are no longer available.  These involve going through the BAR smog program.

The ignition distributor must be stock type or an approved (California E.O. number) aftermarket type.  If the distributor has been changed to aftermarket, it must have a California E.O. number to pass emissions.  The spark advance must function properly, and base timing must be set to the degrees noted on the underhood emissions decal or in the FSM.  The carburetor must be set to stock idle mixture (lean drop) and idle rpm.  These are basic tune related settings that must match OEM settings to pass the test.

First determine whether this is a 49-State vehicle or a 50-State vehicle.  We can break down the specific equipment needed from there.  I have a '79 Jeep CJ factory shop manual that should detail most of what you need to restore the system.  My parts catalogs go back to 1981, which won't help a lot, though there are some 1980 carryover pieces.  (Export model parts would include emissions exempt vehicles that may have parts resembling earlier Jeep model years.)  The major change years for emissions were 1980 to 1981.  1981-up CJ 258s have the BBD carburetor with Sole-Vac feedback and an electronic ignition with sensor feedback and a control module. 

Let us know what you find in decals and other fine points.  Check the air pump system to see whether there is a line/hoses to a diverter valve.  The closer the Jeep is to stock and unmodified, the better off you will be.  The California emissions inspection process is two-fold:  first visually checking for engine and chassis related components then finishing with a tailpipe emissions test.

It may pay to get a pre-test and visual inspection.  There could be exemptions for certain missing equipment that is considered obsolete or that does not "defeat" the smog system.  A catalytic converter, EGR or air injection system will likely need to be in place.

Moses

Thanks,  Jon

• Moses Ludel changed the title to 1978 Jeep CJ California Emissions Requirements

Moses,

much appreciated and great info for me to get started.  I’ll dive deeper into the parts list that should be there.  I think most of it is likely to be there except the CAT.  I did find a “non catalyst” emissions sticker on the dash next to my VIN sticker, but it’s pretty rough. Does that mean no catalytic converter?  I’ll include it here.  

Jon

DEDD0E37-E767-4EA1-A6EF-9D8928D455D7.jpeg

• Administrators

Jon73...This sticker is a clue.  My references to "all" Jeep CJs have a catalytic converter was based on a 1979 Jeep FSM.  1976-up California models had mandatory catalyst systems.  Information from reliable owner references share that their 1976-up official FSMs have the same quote as my '79 manual:  mandatory catalytic converters.  Yet some owners share that their Jeep CJ has a NON-CATALYST decal like you found on a 1976, 1977, 1978 or 1979 model. 

California vehicles were all equipped with a cat from 1976-up, but Federal (EPA requirements only) may have allowed NON-CATALYST vehicles.  Your Jeep CJ-7 is Federal-only (49-State) and may be among a group of legally NON-CATALYST vehicles as the decal suggests.  If that's the case, the EPA could have allowed AMC/Jeep a gradual phase-in of cats on CJs.  These were lower production volume "light utility trucks" for emissions purposes.  California had its own standard, and beginning in 1976, required both EPA equipment and in many instances additional devices.

You may be off the hook on the cat requirement.  A California smog station should be able to determine this.  A pre-test or just a visit to a smog station would be helpful.  If this doesn't get answers, visit a BAR "referee station".  They can reach a VIN or other determination around vehicles that were exempted from the cat requirement.  This would likely apply to 49-State vehicles like yours.  If there is proof that a U.S. EPA vehicle (not an imported "grey market" vehicle) did not require a cat when new, you should not have to install one to meet California smog requirements.  There must be verification that the vehicle is NON-CATALYST, which your CJ's aging decal notes.  If so, you will not find evidence of a California emissions sticker under the hood, just the EPA sticker.

As a footnote, California smog law would not allow a 49-State vehicle to register at California until the vehicle met either a time or minimum mileage requirement.  This was intended to prevent consumers from buying a 49-State vehicle in an effort to "defeat" California smog requirements.  Vehicles brought into the state after the time/mileage period could be smogged and registered without adding equipment.  Your Jeep is light years past this requirement threshold...Jeep CJ emissions and engine equipment became uniform from 1981-up.

Let us know what you turn up at the smog or referee station...

Moses