ok i am in need of some help

i have a 1994 ford bronco 5.8 4x4 xlt 

it starts fine runs great except when i put it in gear it does not move i thought it might have been the rear gears but those are actually in great shape, i also check the fluid level and level was good 

i put the rear tires up on jack stands and put it in geat snd the tires move in all gears.

Has this happened to anyone 

very frustrated need help 

• Administrators

Rayger...Usually this is a shifter or electrical issue, but the fact that gears engage okay when the Bronco is on stands suggests that the torque converter is not engaging.  If you're confident that there is solid power flow from the transmission to the axle (both axles if tested in 4WD), the issue could be forward of the transmission at the torque converter or flexplate.  The flexplate would typically make considerable noise if it broke loose.

You can also check the fluid pressures according to the Ford shop manual, there is a distinct pressure range needed for each gear's engagement.  If the power flow is not backed up with considerable internal pressure (within the transmission's hydraulic system), you could get a false impression of power flow when the Bronco is unloaded.  The wheels turning on jack stands is not the same as on the ground and loaded.  Again, checking the hydraulic pressures would help determine whether the front pump and other functions of the hydraulic system are okay.

Moses

• Administrators

RAYGER...First-off, I'd be checking the transmission test ports for hydraulic pressure in each gear with a factory workshop manual in one hand and the pressure gauge in the other.  Be extremely careful running the Bronco on stands and stay clear of the wheels.  The factory workshop manual describes the pressures.  I have posted them at the forums in the past.  Use the search box to find details or refer to the FSM for your Bronco and the Ford E4OD.

Moses