Choosing a Shop for a 48RE Transmission Rebuild

Cumminsfan98

Hey guys, new to the forum but I follow the magazine. I apologize if this is the wrong thread to post but looks to me like there's knowledgeable members in this thread all talking about the 48re so seems fitting. Anyways, I have been having a very similar issue with the 48RE in my truck and it recently went kaput and the sad thing is I didn't even have any mods on the truck other than just an intake and exhaust and I don't plan on increasing the power anymore than it's at now. I found a remanned 48re here, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=48RE, for only like 2.5k which is cheaper than anyone around here will even rebuild mine for but it seems too good to be true. Does anyone have experience with these guys transmissions or have an online transmission rebuilder that's trustworthy? Interested your opinions out there

• Administrators

Cumminsfan98...Well, I have no experience with this rebuilder but was surprised to see the thoroughness of their rebuilding process at this price point.  The price does include hard parts as needed and not just a rebuild "kit".  The warranty, especially for a 48RE, is longer yet presumably comprehensive:  read what's covered, for how long and whether there is a prorated charge for the accrued vehicle mileage at the point of a failure.

There are some caveats like shipping free only if you have a commercial site and core waived—only long enough (30 days) to receive your return core.  The description looks good to me;  however, I suggest reading the Trustpilot reviews at the site.  If this business is part of "Car Part Planet" as implied, the reviews are mixed despite the 4.5 average overall (which is actually very good/excellent for the automotive field).  Read the reviews and interpret them. 

If your current transmission is original and never rebuilt, and if you have the time, it would be worth asking whether they will rebuild your original core.  That way, you'd get a first-time rebuilt transmission.

I'm putting myself in your shoes.  As a consumer, this seems a good value with a strong warranty.  (Again, review the fine print on the warranty before committing.)  I rebuild my own transmissions and have since 1969, so I'm biased.  If the shop performs the work they describe, using new or rebuilt hard replacement parts and quality "kit" parts, this is a competitive value in the current market.  Know that most rebuilders do not pay their technicians a great deal of money, though the repetitive work does raise the quality despite the pay.

The shop is saying all the things we want to know.  Not dirt cheap, they are competitive.  A shop like theirs is often the supplier to the retailers in the price comparison.  This is somewhat a "wholesale" price for getting this unit rebuilt thoroughly.  With a 5-year warranty, they have nothing to gain by cutting corners or using cheap parts.  Bear in mind that this price does not include removal and installation (R&I or R&R).  This is strictly a "bench build".

Others may be familiar with this shop.  If so, please jump into the discussion.

Moses