New Project Possible?

Hi all;

I'm giving thought to ANOTHER '82 Toyota 4X4 pick up. It's in pretty nice condition except for the front fenders,but even those are way better than the ones on my rolling wreck. I can get it for $500.00 relatively complete. All that's missing is both axles-the springs are still there,it runs and was functional and operable before the owner pulled both axles to rebuild for his 4Runner.  Here's what I'm considering-I'll have access this Summer to an '88 Jeep Comanche that was rolled,and I'm looking at swapping its axles under the Toyota. I expect they'll be too wide,and the spring spacing will be off,but I feel like it could still work. The springs under the Toyota are a 4 inch lift,so that might leave enough room for tire clearance with wider axles. Haven't looked into this very deeply yet,mostly wanted to see if anyone out there has done this before.

It'll have taller gearing so it'd be a good truck for longer drives and highway use,and the Rolling Wreck will still be a solid work truck. (I also located a 2WD Toyota truck that has the SR5 trim and the dash with Tachometer,it runs and drives but has no title,so I'd have to drive it to Sparks and get that handled,then  it'd be a parts truck,mainly the cab and front group for the wreck,and possibly the engine-I'd have to check the compression etc. to decide that. That's a lot of work,but it'd pay off in the long run. The rolling wreck is down while I get the brakes to work again. (The Cops are really tweaky about brakes for some reason...)

I have a '92 Grand Cherokee now that was vandalized,I'll sell it for around $450.00 or so;no glass,front group ravaged,no front wheels/tires flat tires on the rear, has the 4.0 inliner/automatic and AWD,roof rack and receiver hitch,pretty nice interior but the dash was hurt a little when the stereo was stolen. I'm currently working on getting the Title and Bill o'Sale from the owner. Selling this will pay my Gas-n-Electric this month. I know this isn't the place for selling things,but...

Speed

• Administrators

Hi, Speed!  See my comments below...

On 6/7/2018 at 2:25 AM, Speed said:

Hi all;

I'm giving thought to ANOTHER '82 Toyota 4X4 pick up. It's in pretty nice condition except for the front fenders,but even those are way better than the ones on my rolling wreck. I can get it for $500.00 relatively complete. All that's missing is both axles-the springs are still there,it runs and was functional and operable before the owner pulled both axles to rebuild for his 4Runner.  Here's what I'm considering-I'll have access this Summer to an '88 Jeep Comanche that was rolled,and I'm looking at swapping its axles under the Toyota.

Some Comanches with higher GVWR had a Dana 44 rear axle, which is prized for an XJ swap.  You'll be mounting and locating spring perches.  (The MJ has link-and-coil front perches.)  Is the front driveline drop at the correct side of the TC for this axle swap?

I expect they'll be too wide,and the spring spacing will be off,but I feel like it could still work. The springs under the Toyota are a 4 inch lift,so that might leave enough room for tire clearance with wider axles. Haven't looked into this very deeply yet,mostly wanted to see if anyone out there has done this before.

It'll have taller gearing so it'd be a good truck for longer drives and highway use,and the Rolling Wreck will still be a solid work truck. (I also located a 2WD Toyota truck that has the SR5 trim and the dash with Tachometer,it runs and drives but has no title,so I'd have to drive it to Sparks and get that handled,then  it'd be a parts truck,mainly the cab and front group for the wreck,and possibly the engine-I'd have to check the compression etc. to decide that. That's a lot of work,but it'd pay off in the long run. The rolling wreck is down while I get the brakes to work again. (The Cops are really tweaky about brakes for some reason...)

I like this idea!  You have a lot invested in the Toyota rolling 4x4 chassis, this could be the body "correction" needed...

I have a '92 Grand Cherokee now that was vandalized,I'll sell it for around $450.00 or so;no glass,front group ravaged,no front wheels/tires flat tires on the rear, has the 4.0 inliner/automatic and AWD,roof rack and receiver hitch,pretty nice interior but the dash was hurt a little when the stereo was stolen. I'm currently working on getting the Title and Bill o'Sale from the owner. Selling this will pay my Gas-n-Electric this month. I know this isn't the place for selling things,but...

Feel free to post a for sale add at the forums classifieds...However, you'd probably do better on Craigslist due to the Elko locale...

Moses

On 6/7/2018 at 2:25 AM, Speed said:

Speed

• 1 month later...

Okay-the '82 Toyota 4X4 is officially mine. I sold my semi trailer for $800.00,spent some on bills and gassed up my bike,my Toyota and 3 gas cans. ( I SHOULDA paid some more bills with the money,but-priorities,ya know?) STILL not sure what I'm doing for axles for it. It occurred to me that the Cherokee axle has 5 on 4-1/2 wheels,and the Comanche,I THINK,has six lugs. (I never saw the hubs because the wheels had caps on 'em.) So I'll ride out tomorrow and see what I can learn. If these don't pan out,maybe FS Chevy axles.(?) The seller said this '82 has a SQUARE tube front drive line-anyone know anything about those? He said it seemed to be fine up to about 50 mph,vibration-wise. With any luck I'll be able to run a front axle with locking hubs,so balance won't be as much of an issue. Are full sized Chevy axles a common swap? If not,what would be a good choice?

• 2 weeks later...