just recently bought a '76 In scout II with the 304 V-8 and was driving down the road and the front driver's side brake started to seize up. previous to that I had it parked on an incline and set the emergency brake. I believe something happened when applying the brake and I am not too familiar with these trucks other than them being really cool. are there any "tricks" I can don't to trouble shoot or things that I should look at when trying to fix. I thinking maybe bleed the brake lines and start over with new pads and fluids. any help is greatly appreciated.

ih2.thumb.png.4b001ffc9aee89316437f683dc63b799.png

• Administrators

Great model and a classic 4x4, wrwest757!   For a front wheel brake to seize, there must be either:  1) an obstruction between the caliper and rotor, 2) dragging pads, 3) trapped fluid in the caliper or 4) a seizing caliper piston(s).  Trapped fluid can be a defective master cylinder or a brake pedal/booster rod that is not adjusted properly and holds/traps fluid in the lines.

If the Scout II set up for a long period before you bought it, there could be debris, corrosion or rust in the braking system.  I would do more than just change the brake fluid, which should be done by bleeder valve vacuum evacuation at the front calipers and rear wheel cylinders.  Since the right front wheel brake seized up, I would remove and rebuild or replace the front calipers after thorough vacuum flushing the brake system with fresh DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid.  You may be able to rebuild the calipers.  If they are too damaged or pitted in their bores, or if the pistons are corroded, you will need new calipers and likely new pads and either rotor resurfacing or rotor replacement.

Make sure the master cylinder is safe, along with the rest of the brake hydraulic system.  Sounds like you need to remove the rear brake drums and take a close look at the rear brakes to be safe.  Hands clean, gently roll back the rear brake wheel cylinder dust boots to see whether brake fluid is seeping past the rubber cups.  If in doubt, rebuild or replace the rear wheel cylinders after vacuum flushing the hydraulic system first.  The vehicle is well worth brake restoration.  Steering and brakes are the most important safety issues.

Moses