Moses,

I watched the SEMA video regarding the new Cummins 2.8 I4.  That sounds like an outstanding package for us Jeepers (and others).  How fun would it be to run the trail rig and tow rig with Cummins power!

As I mentioned in a different post, I recently returned to pickup truck ownership with the purchase of a 2016 Nissan Titan XD PRO4X with the Cummins 5.0 turbo diesel V-8.  The Nissan has been great, but I've only got about 1,000 miles on the clock thus far.  Seems like some owners have had some issues with the new turbocharger setup (as compared to previous applications of the ISV 5.0 V8), but Nissan appears to be aggressively working to resolve those.  Being a diesel, I don't expect lightning fast acceleration with this truck, but I certainly have no complaints regarding performance to date.  I can update here once I've towed a significant load with the truck--probably the next Jeep club event.

Like the Ram trucks with the Cummins ISB6.7, the Titan XD employs torque management software in the transmission that limits application of the 555 lb-ft of torque in 1st and 2nd gear.  If you look at the specs, (310 HP and 555 lb-ft), this engine is comparable to the Duramax engines circa 2004/2005/2006.  Many have criticized the engine as underpowered and outstripped by the 3/4 ton competition, but I would counter that this model was not really intended to replace those trucks, rather it's designed to cater to the folks (like me) who have been unsatisfied towing at the max capability of the 1/2 ton gas trucks, but don't really need 3/4 ton capability 99% of the time.

I've owned a Sierra 1500, a Sierra 2500HD gasser, a Sierra 2500HD diesel (purchased new) and now the Titan XD. I also have experience towing with a Ram 3500HD dually. My favorite until now was the Duramax Sierra, but it was really too much truck for what I needed. I got military pricing on it, and the fairly basic SLE model cost more way back in 2007 than the Titan XD PRO-4X I just bought.

For me, the XD represented a cost effective way ($14,000 off sticker) to get into a diesel truck that will handle a serious load without the drama you get towing heavy with a gas truck. I know it's not the right truck for everyone, but it fits well for me. Folks claim you can get a new diesel from one of the big three for similar money, but I certainly couldn't find them, except possibly a few stripped down work truck models.

My PRO4X model came stock with all terrain tires on 18" wheels, hill start and hill descent assist, an electronic locking rear differential, navigation and a backup camera, in addition to power accessories you would expect in this class of vehicle.  I also got the audio and utility packages which include an upgraded stereo, bed lighting and a cargo management system consisting of side and bed floor rails and moveable cargo cleats.  I also really appreciate that all Titan XD's come from the factory with a gooseneck hitch and safety anchor points installed in the bed (which has factory spray in bed liner as well.

One potential weakness of the XD is it's relatively low payload rating compared to the 3/4 ton trucks.  My PRO4X model has a bed capacity of "only" 1,744 pounds.  This is a limiting factor when towing a gooseneck/5th wheel trailer.  This is the first full size medium/heavy duty pickup I've seen that has a HIGHER bumper pull capacity than gooseneck/5th wheel, and it's basically because of payload capacity in the bed (and perhaps the semi-float rear axle). The upshot of this restriction is a comparably great ride.  While my old Sierra HD was a workhorse, it never let you forget it was a heavy duty truck.  Due to it's slightly softer rear spring rates, the Titan XD rides almost as well as my old Sierra 1500 4X4 with the Z71 package. For me, the trade off in max towing capacity for a comfortable ride was not a detractor.

For someone needing a vehicle to handle 9-10,000 pound loads with little drama and great longevity, I think the Titan XD with the Cummins represents a great fit.  The current incentives on these trucks, coupled with the outstanding 5YR/100,000 mile BUMPER-TO-BUMPER warranty make it a vehicle worthy of consideration for those needing a "5/8ths" ton truck.

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

• Administrators

Your new Nissan Titan 5.0L V-8 diesel truck is really sharp and practical with the longer crew cab (family savvy layout) and short box, a very wise choice!  Thanks for your generous and thoughtful comments on the truck, this is my first "real world" exposure to a conscientious consumer/buyer view of this model.  Keep us all posted on the truck's performance, handling and reliability.  Should be a great trailer puller for your Jeep CJ-7!  My comments are below in red:

19 hours ago, 60Bubba said:

Moses,

I watched the SEMA video regarding the new Cummins 2.8 I4.  That sounds like an outstanding package for us Jeepers (and others).  How fun would it be to run the trail rig and tow rig with Cummins power!

I'm excited about the R2.8L "little brother" of your 5.0L Cummins...I believe that Advance Adapters and Cummins Repower will eventually cover all Jeep utility models as each tier of emission standards is certified for the diesel crate engine conversion.  Initially Tier 1 certified at launch, the R2.8L diesel crate engine will be 50-State legal for our 1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee or your Jeep CJ-7.  Eventually, the crate engine should be approved for the coveted JK Wrangler market.  Installed cost should be less than the quote you got for a V-8 and transmission package conversion ($10K) into your CJ.  Cummins Repower wants to contain cost, but with adapters and the major amount of accessories on the engine, I am guessing the complete package will be more like $8,500-$9,500 plus labor for an installation into a Jeep.  This should be much less costly than an AEV Jeep diesel conversion.

As I mentioned in a different post, I recently returned to pickup truck ownership with the purchase of a 2016 Nissan Titan XD PRO4X with the Cummins 5.0 turbo diesel V-8.  The Nissan has been great, but I've only got about 1,000 miles on the clock thus far.  Seems like some owners have had some issues with the new turbocharger setup (as compared to previous applications of the ISV 5.0 V8), but Nissan appears to be aggressively working to resolve those.  Being a diesel, I don't expect lightning fast acceleration with this truck, but I certainly have no complaints regarding performance to date.  I can update here once I've towed a significant load with the truck--probably the next Jeep club event.

Not lightning fast but fuel efficient when towing.  Our hefty Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Quad-Cab with 140.5" wheelbase and aftermarket software tuning feels robust and sometimes as frisky as a muscle car.  That's a 5.9L ISB with 350 horsepower and well over 600 lb-ft torque (stock was 610).  I very rarely trounce the throttle, though; diesels are not engineered for that kind of sustained boost and load.  I'm striving for 500K or more miles from this engine!

Like the Ram trucks with the Cummins ISB6.7, the Titan XD employs torque management software in the transmission that limits application of the 555 lb-ft of torque in 1st and 2nd gear.  If you look at the specs, (310 HP and 555 lb-ft), this engine is comparable to the Duramax engines circa 2004/2005/2006.  Many have criticized the engine as underpowered and outstripped by the 3/4 ton competition, but I would counter that this model was not really intended to replace those trucks, rather it's designed to cater to the folks (like me) who have been unsatisfied towing at the max capability of the 1/2 ton gas trucks, but don't really need 3/4 ton capability 99% of the time.

You have a major transmission/gearing advantage over our '05 Ram with its 48RE four-speed.  Torque is the saving grace with the 3500, though you are much better off with a gear that meets every need and throttle demand.  I'm toying with the idea of an Allison conversion for the Ram, the truck's only upgrade worth considering.  You've got the desirable transmission gearing.

I've owned a Sierra 1500, a Sierra 2500HD gasser, a Sierra 2500HD diesel (purchased new) and now the Titan XD. I also have experience towing with a Ram 3500HD dually. My favorite until now was the Duramax Sierra, but it was really too much truck for what I needed. I got military pricing on it, and the fairly basic SLE model cost more way back in 2007 than the Titan XD PRO-4X I just bought.

For me, the XD represented a cost effective way ($14,000 off sticker) to get into a diesel truck that will handle a serious load without the drama you get towing heavy with a gas truck. I know it's not the right truck for everyone, but it fits well for me. Folks claim you can get a new diesel from one of the big three for similar money, but I certainly couldn't find them, except possibly a few stripped down work truck models.

What a smoking deal, and the truck is built in nearby Mississippi...For your needs, this is surely a keeper, I would expect that you'll amortize this truck by keeping it for a very long time...The best deal I've seen on a Ram/Cummins is a friend at Reno who went to a noted Idaho dealership and bought a new 2014 (in 2014) 2500 Ram Tradesman 4x4 with the 6.7L and G56 manual transmission (last manual available in the light truck diesel field).  The dealership posted a loss-leader ad, friend James took the bait and ran with it, they sold him the truck for $34K plus tax and doc fees!  Well equipped but not a high-end trim package, it's the utility model I'd want for easy clean-up with its rubber floor coverings!  

My PRO4X model came stock with all terrain tires on 18" wheels, hill start and hill descent assist, an electronic locking rear differential, navigation and a backup camera, in addition to power accessories you would expect in this class of vehicle.  I also got the audio and utility packages which include an upgraded stereo, bed lighting and a cargo management system consisting of side and bed floor rails and movable cargo cleats.  I also really appreciate that all Titan XD's come from the factory with a gooseneck hitch and safety anchor points installed in the bed (which has factory spray in bed liner as well.

I really like your choice of options, all practical enhancements!  The gooseneck factory hitch and factory spray-in bed liner are a very nice touch, eliminating the drilling of holes in a new truck's bed and frame. Smart, Nissan!  They really encourage towing...I like the manual (electronic) locking rear diff, there are many times you don't want to use the rear diff lock-up—like a cambered black-ice winter road at Tennessee.  (Under such conditions, 4x4 mode would be plenty!)  You purchased the tasteful, functional and safety-related options...Smart, 60Bubba!

One potential weakness of the XD is it's relatively low payload rating compared to the 3/4 ton trucks.  My PRO4X model has a bed capacity of "only" 1,744 pounds.  This is a limiting factor when towing a gooseneck/5th wheel trailer.  This is the first full size medium/heavy duty pickup I've seen that has a HIGHER bumper pull capacity than gooseneck/5th wheel, and it's basically because of payload capacity in the bed (and perhaps the semi-float rear axle). The upshot of this restriction is a comparably great ride.  While my old Sierra HD was a workhorse, it never let you forget it was a heavy duty truck.  Due to it's slightly softer rear spring rates, the Titan XD rides almost as well as my old Sierra 1500 4X4 with the Z71 package. For me, the trade off in max towing capacity for a comfortable ride was not a detractor.

Helpful analysis of the chassis differences, the semi-floater and payload.  With the short box, you may not want a 5th wheel anyway, I have the 6.3' bed with a trans-bed auxiliary fuel tank, and the only way I could tote a 5th wheel is with a slide-out 5th wheel platform.  I'm a conventional bumper trailer puller, and we recently put a cap on the bed of the Ram.  With the 4" chassis lift and 36.5" diameter tires, it's not practical to load stuff in the cramped bed, especially a refrigerator!  The cap is handy.

For someone needing a vehicle to handle 9-10,000 pound loads with little drama and great longevity, I think the Titan XD with the Cummins represents a great fit.  The current incentives on these trucks, coupled with the outstanding 5YR/100,000 mile BUMPER-TO-BUMPER warranty make it a vehicle worthy of consideration for those needing a "5/8ths" ton truck.

Terrific choice for your intended usage!  Plenty of toting ability, and the warranty is the best in the industry.  Lots of confidence built into this truck.  I like it!  Keep us informed as you accrue miles on this truck.  The comfort level compared to your Jeep CJ-7 has me thinking the CJ will be perched on a car hauling trailer soon!

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG