• Administrators

I'm excited to share the latest development from Cummins and Advance Adapters:  the R2.8L Cummins Repower diesel crate engine conversion for Jeep® and other 4x4s!  At the 2016 SEMA Show, Steve Roberts (Advance Adapters) and Steve Sanders (Cummins Repower program) detailed the engine conversion and discuss highlights of this high tech diesel engine in our HD video interview.  

In the video, you'll discover why I'm so pleased with this development.  The initial Cummins Repower focus is 50-State legal emission status for vehicles through 1999, which will include Jeep® CJ, XJ, ZJ, WJ and vintage vehicles plus Toyota FJ40, Land Rover, vintage Bronco, Scout/Scout II and others.  Of course, the Jeep® JK Wrangler is on the radar screen, however, emission legal requirements will be met before releasing a package for the later model range.

We're planning a pilot installation of the R2.8L Cummins diesel engine package into the magazine's 1999 XJ Cherokee during 2017.  Enough power?  In Brazil this modern CRD high-tech diesel engine is fitted into F350 Ford trucks and school buses.  Enough fuel efficiency?  Stand by, we'll be testing and confirming mileage soon!

See the complete article that accompanies the HD video at:  http://www.4wdmechanix.com/advance-adapters-and-cummins-2-8l-diesel-engine-conversion-for-jeep/

Go Cummins Repower and Advance Adapters!

Moses

• 2 months later...

Hoping this Diesel will work out in a 2003 Ford Ranger EDGE 4x.

Been reading for a few days and think this will work, size, power levels and fuel economy !

Any input, ideas, or difficulties any may know about please post.

Has anyone seen the price yet ?

• Administrators

Share your enthusiasm with Advance Adapters, Scrambler82!  Their partnering with Cummins Repower is just underway, the initial target being the R2.8L into the Jeep TJ Wrangler and XJ Cherokee, likely next application would be the JK Wrangler.  The universality of this program is ingenious: certifying the crate engine to meet emissions standards at the various "tiers".  First round is good through model year 2000 vehicles (Class 1 by California standards), making this package legal for vintage Jeep through TJ Wrangler/XJ Cherokee models, early Bronco, Bronco II, Land Rover, Scout and Scout II, Toyota pickup and 4Runner, you name it if adapted with the right transmission and other parts. 

The initial transmission adapter to the Cummins R2.8L diesel targets the Aisin AX15, installers would be on their own from there.  If the demand exists for more adapters and motor mount kits, AA and Cummins would likely target other applications.  The only "bolt-in" kit at launch would be the YJ/TJ Wrangler models or equivalent XJ Cherokees with the AX15 or NV3550.  I'm waiting on develop of an AW4 Aisin automatic adapter for our '99 XJ Cherokee.

For me the line for the R2.8L four-cylinder diesel gets drawn by gross vehicle weight.  Personally, this engine would be my choice for a GVW (vehicle and cargo load combined limit) of no more than 6,500 pounds, which is likely why Nissan uses the engine in the Frontier and not the Titan.  As for powering up a full-size truck like my Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 or an F350 (which has been done at Brazil), I'd lean toward the 5.9L Cummins, a 6.7L Cummins or the new Cummins 5.0L V-8 for the Titan.  

Point of interest:  In a conversation with John Curry a few years ago, it became clear that there are grossly "armored", accessorized and axle beefed 4-door JK Wranglers that crush the scales at 7,600 pounds, and in my view, that would not be a candidate for a 2.8L diesel of any kind.

If this R2.8L crate engine program works for Cummins, I would watch for more crate/Repower engines packaged for installation with emissions certification already in place.  Cummins is very good about including a variety of accessories and necessary pieces with these engines, including the ECU, wiring harness, power steering pump, vacuum pump, fly-by-wire throttle (like the R2.8L application), etc.  When you go over the interview carefully at http://www.4wdmechanix.com/advance-adapters-and-cummins-2-8l-diesel-engine-conversion-for-jeep/, the features offered with the R2.8L enable an experienced shop with fabrication and engine conversion skills to install this engine in a variety of chassis.  As initially packaged, this is only a place to start, not a "bolt-in" swap with a map intended as a weekend job.  

Caution:  For those unfamiliar with engine conversions, expect considerable detail work!  I'm contemplating the XJ Cherokee/R2.8L/AW4 conversion and already anticipating fabrication chores and details like an A/C compressor bracket, whether cruise control can be maintained, and a long list of smaller details.  This kind of project is not for the faint of heart or shop/home garage without fabrication tools.  Owners must decide whether the gains outweigh the effort.  When the adapters become available, I intend to do a detailed how-to installation video on the R2.8L swap into a Jeep XJ Cherokee chassis with the AW4.  That should help many shops and owners contemplating this engine conversion.

Brilliant that Cummins will be certifying the engine as a crate unit rather than as a specific vehicle year-make-model application for the engine.  The only caveat will be the vehicle/chassis model year and the emissions tier level that Cummins certifies the engine.  This is the first realistic engine candidate for Class 1 California category light truck/4x4 vehicles.  There's no longer the need to find that rare Jeep Liberty 2.4L or 2.8L CRD donor, a VW turbo-diesel or other European passenger car diesel engines...This is truck grade Cummins power!

Moses