Searching for next Wrangler

jj_jeep

After 288,000 miles and 18 salty winters, the frame on my 1998 TJ has succumbed to rust.  A local welder looked it over and told me there's too much rust for him to patch it together.  So I'm looking at JK's.  We are a family of four, so it seems sensible to have 4 doors this time around.  JK's are very highly valued and hard to find.  So my question is, is it worth holding out for a '12 or newer to get the Pentastar and 5 speed automatic?  Or should I buy a $5k clunker to get me by until the '18 Jeep pickup comes out?  

• Administrators

Loaded question, jj_jeep...Sounds like you're set on getting the '18 Jeep pickup as many will do.  Is the $5K clunker another TJ?  Or a Caravan powered pre-'12 JK?  How does your family of four fit into the '18 JL pickup?   What's the plan?

When I mentioned $5k clunker to bridge through to the 18's, I was thinking of a Ford Taurus or something.  Jeeps for $5k are very rusty here in the upper midwest!  I saw on 09 with a hole in grill, dents in every panel, and a a rebuilt engine and they were asking $18k!  I've seen TJ's with the 4 cylinder for $15k - used Jeep prices are very high!  From what I have read, the Pentastar V6 and Daimler automatic are much more desirable than the old 3.8L and older transmission.  I wasn't sure, so I thought I would check here.  

As it is, we found a 4 door JK and bought it during the Labor Day sales. The TJ was my daily driver and I had been borrowing a car after it broke down, so we needed to do something.  So now we're starting over on the 18 year, 280k mile cycle.  Think the JK is up to the longevity test?  

Is the upcoming JK-based pickup going to be a crew cab?  Or will it be more like BRUTE conversion where it only seats two?  I thought the rumors were that a crew cab was planned and that my family of 4 would fit nicely.  

• Administrators

Wow, we're so lucky at the Far West, no rust...A JK chassis will last forever—short of rust!  The Caravan motor to 2011 is sometimes overworked, especially with oversized tires unless re-geared.  The Pentastar 3.6L makes a huge difference from 2012-up though there were some warranty issues with the earlier Pentastar engines.  Did you buy a 2012-up?

A crew cab JL pickup would be smart for FCA to build...Anyone have insight here?

CONGRATS on the "new" JK!

Hi Moses,

We did get the 3.6 L.  The dealer also included a lifetime powertrain warranty in the deal.  Just wish I could hold off the rust that I know is coming.  I think my TJ frame rusted from the inside.  Probably need a way to seal the internal surfaces of the frame and also provide good drainage so the frame doesn't hold the salt and water inside.  Or, I need to consider moving west!  

I did inquire with several Jeep dealers about when the 2017's would be available.  I was hoping it would come out soon and help the prices on the older models.  None of them gave a straight answer.  Is it possible Jeep is going to skip the 17 model and go right to 18 like they did in 96 with the 97 model?  

• Administrators

You'll like the 3.6L V-6 Pentastar engine!  I tested a new 2012 JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Edition.  (See my overview video at:  http://www.4wdmechanix.com/Best-4WD-SUV-of-the-Year-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Rubicon?r=1.)  Very impressed with the powertrain overall!  Kudos on your choice.

This insidious salt issue is really a shame.  The use of salt in the Rust Belt has spread to other states, and high desert Nevada, which historically used sand on icy roads, has resorted to snow melt alternatives.  Salt on roads has become a nationwide issue.

Under many road conditions, calcium chloride seems more promising if used.  Here is a commercial comparison between calcium chloride and magnesium chloride:  http://pollard.mnsi.net/calvsmag.html.  I tried magnesium chloride on our rear patio cement deck a few years back, and it proved corrosive to the cement.  (This anecdote is my experience.)  Of course, salt is even worse.

Not sure about the '17 Wrangler models.  If one does roll out, it will be much like the '16.  I did not see the JK Wrangler in press materials recently released.  We'll have to see...

Moses

• 2 weeks later...