Something goofy with MAN VAC reading on scanner

1990 jeep wrangler with the renix 2.5l tbi injection set up. I'm using the snapon mt2500 with 1995 domestic primary cartridge and trouble shooter cart. intermediately I have no reading on the manifold vacuum while the engine is running. I swapped map sensor with one from a cherokee but the same result. could this be a possible ecu issue or wire harness issue?

• Administrators

When you share that you're using a 1995 domestic primary cartridge (on a scan tool), do you mean the tool is looking for a 1995 2.5L engine?  If so, and you likely know it, the 1995 Jeep 2.5L four is an MPI engine.  It is not your 2.5L TBI type.  TBI scanning and troubleshooting would be different.

If you have a scan tool and there is an actual problem with the manifold vacuum source, ECU or wiring, there should be a stored code to that effect.  Using your scan tool, check for stored MIL/Check Light codes.  The 1990 chassis/engine is OBD (not OBD II), and codes must be read with a Miller/OTC DRB scan tool or equivalent.  A simple code reader may not be effective here.  For beginners, the chassis/wiring harness' diagnostic plug type is not OBD-II configuration.

Moses

• 2 weeks later...