• Administrators

Bob...We're aware of the Scout II's use of the naturally aspirated and turbodiesel Nissan SD33 and SD33T engines.  The application you have in mind is a Chrysler Marine engine, which should broaden the source bank.  Any of these engines would be older by now, so getting one in the right condition is the imperative.  I found one Chrysler Marine engine that sold, untested, for $250 "as is".  Automotive and marine engines allegedly in "good condition" or "tested" are listed in the $2,700-$4,000 range.  The wild card is confirming that the engine is in good condition whether $500 or $5000.

In the early nineties, I knew a Chrysler Marine dealership that sold Nissan diesel 33T crate engines new as replacements for Scout II models.  They were located in the San Joaquin Valley/Central California.  There might be marine dealers in other areas of the country with new, NOS or used engines. 

I did a quick search, eBay and also a Nissan diesel group.  Here are some examples of similar engines.  My pick of the bunch was an SD33T (turbocharged) engine listed at eBay as: 

NISSAN PATROL 160 1983-1987 SD33T DIESEL ENGINE COMPLETE:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/314091092132

The price seemed appropriate, and the attraction for me is the automotive rather than marine application of this engine.  The differences between marine and automotive applications would be manifolds and other subtleties.  This engine came from a Nissan Patrol 4x4.  Unfortunately, the engine is at Greece!  Testing its condition and reliability would be one concern...Shipping and customs fees would likely be as costly as the engine.  There are other engines at eBay.

Here's another example:

https://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopic.php?t=1499

I would look into any limitations of a marine application engine in terms of bellhousing, flywheel, clutch assembly, engine driven accessories, etc.  Your '66 Scout, if you keep the original TC-145 transfer case (should be a Dana 20 through-drive unit, fortunately), would benefit from the SD33 or SD33T transmission and bellhousing applications used in the Scout II.  The Scout II models used the Model 20 Spicer transfer case through 1979 and have a rarer, one-year only application of the Dana 300 (highly desirable) in 1980.  These Scout II transfer cases have a similar front mating pattern to the Scout 800's Model 20 Spicer.  Mate-up of your original Model 20 would be possible once spline count and shaft lengths get confirmed or worked out.  You also have the Chrysler 727 Torqueflite option used in Nissan SD33/33T Scout II models.

For those curious about the Scout II applications with the SD33 and SD33T, here is a Wikipedia explanation.  Bob, note that the 1985-86 Jeep CJ-10/10A flightline tow vehicles also used the SD33, another source for these engines.  This SD33 is a non-turbo version of the engine that will not set the world on fire for power.  However, the fuel efficiency and diesel torque would be notable.  The complete Nissan diesel rundown is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_SD_engine:

SD33

The SD33 is a 3.2 L; 198.0 cu in (3,245 cc) straight-six diesel engine, most known for its use in the Nissan Patrol MQ (160 series) from 1980-1983 and the Nissan C80. The SD33 produces 95 PS (70 kW) at 3,800 rpm.

The Engine was also used in the UD 3400 series light truck, large forklifts, Marine applications, in International Scout offerings from 1976 to 1979, as well as the Jeep CJ-10/10A flightline tow vehicles from 1985 to 1986. The Scout-based Monteverdi Sahara was also offered with the SD33.

SD33T

The SD33T is a turbocharged 3.2 L; 198.0 cu in (3,245 cc) straight-six diesel engine that was used in 1980 for the powerplant in 6,400 International Harvester Scout IIs. All were equipped with a T-19 manual transmission.

From July 1983 until 1987, SD33T engines were fitted to the Nissan Patrol MK (160 series - model 2). The SD33T produces 110 PS (81 kW; 108 hp) and 255 N⋅m (188 lb⋅ft) of torque and is considered to be a fuel efficient and reliable diesel engine.

I am curious what you're using for the rest of the powertrain (transmission, transfer case, axles, etc.).  For decades, Advance Adapters has worked with the Scout/Scout II Spicer Model 18, Spicer/Dana 20 and Dana 300 transfer cases.  They have address all of the transmissions used in the Scout 80, 800A/B, Scout II plus the popular engine and transmission conversions.  Advance Adapters would be a valuable resource with its archives of swaps and experience around mate-up components.

Moses  

• Moses Ludel changed the title to Nissan CN6-33 for 1966 Scout Build
  • 5 weeks later...

This is very good information. Sorry for the delay in responding. We could not have found this detailed info in a hundred years. Truly appreciate it. Have found a 33 w/ torquefight tranny. Waiting on number, been setting for years. This engine / tranny in a 800 really well done would be awesome. One of a kind build

Thanks

Bob

• Administrators

Bob, I agree...Did you find the rarer 33T or a 33?  The turbocharged version (33T) would have added benefits in torque and horsepower.  It would also raise questions about the condition of the turbocharger that has "been setting for years".  

As shared in my first reply, I like your concept.  There are now quite a few contemporary Cummins R2.8L four-cylinder "crate motor" turbodiesels in Scout and Scout II 4x4s, but the installed cost is high for the engine and laundry list of conversion components.  The Nissan SD engine is proven, reliable and should fit the engine bay.  The AMC 232 inline six was available in the Scout 800, which means more room for this diesel engine. 

The rugged A727 Torqueflite would work well but is limited to three speeds forward and a 1:1 direct drive (no overdrive).  You have the converter housing pattern for using a Chrysler A518 4-speed overdrive (1991-93 4WD version) unit but would need to work out the kickdown linkage (which may be similar to the A727) and more importantly the transfer case to transmission mate-up.  Your '66 OEM Spicer/Dana 20 transfer case will not bolt to the Ram A518 4WD output adapter.  Transmission output spline count and transfer case input spline count also need to match. 

I'd like to see a couple of photos:  1) the A727 Torqueflite output adapter flange pattern and 2) your '66 transfer case front flange pattern.  This should be the same, as Scout II kept the early Spicer Model 18/20 flange pattern through the 1980 models.  However, confirm whether the output/input shaft spline counts are the same.

The A727 is much easier to use if you don't need overdrive.  If you use the Torqueflite, you need shift linkage and the kickdown cable plus the cable hook-up at the SD throttle.  If the kickdown cable is available with the engine, that's a plus.  If you don't have the Scout II shift linkage (floor console type), you can substitute a B&M or other aftermarket shifter.  A new aftermarket shifter cable is available for the Scout II floor shifter.

I would do a Saginaw integral power steering gear conversion on this chassis, especially with the weight of the diesel engine.  (Does the SD engine come with a power steering pump and brackets?)  Advance Adapters has Saginaw steering gear and linkage conversion/changeover kits, and here is another Scout resource (found online, I haven't met these folks) with another approach:  https://dandcextreme.com/product/scout-80-800-power-steering-conversion-kit/.

Most suggest avoiding the Scout II power gear due to its age and lack of availability.  If a known Scout II "good used power gear" is available at the right price, that could be a starting point.  Any gear that age would need refreshing/seals and likely some work, at least adjustments to factory specifications.  Below are my general rebuild steps for a Saginaw 800-series gear.  Here's the magazine search for additional Saginaw information:  https://4wdmechanix.com/?s=Saginaw+steering.

If you're on a budget with the power steering conversion, the Advance Adapters approach would adapt a common Saginaw 800 type gear shown in the video.  Any steering gear conversion will involve installing frame mounting plates, either your welding task or sublet to a reliable shop.  You need a pitman arm and steering linkage that work safely with your steering gear and the knuckle arms.  Linkage must clear the frame and work safely and smoothly...Give Advance Adapters a call at 1-800-350-2223 for tech details.

Will you be running the original closed-knuckle front axle and drum brakes?  Or are you upgrading to Scout II Dana 44 front and rear axles with disc front/drum rear brakes?  This is a popular approach for an upgrade:  https://ihscout.com/product/disc-brake-front-dana-44-axles-matched-pair-scout-ii-terra-traveler/.

Moses