Jump to content

What to Do With Short Circuits

Recommended Posts



I’m a newbie here and don’t know whether this is the right place to ask this question. I have done the renovation of my home last year and had replaced all the aluminium wirings with latest model wires. There were no problem for the last few months but now I’m having troubles in with the electricity and there is frequent short circuit. My friend advised me to consult an electrician and rewire the house. He suggested this website(http://www.theshockdoctors.ca/) but I dont know whether they will be providing me good service. Is it necessary to do the rewiring or shall I repair the existing. Please help. Advises accepted….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators

We'll make this encompassing, flynntr.  Whether an automotive or household issue, there is enough similarity to address the general question.

Household current is AC.  Short circuits with AC or DC, if causing breakers to trip or fuses to blow, can be a matter of wire gauge.  If you did nothing more than replace wires, following the exact same circuits, and if the house's original wiring was engineered correctly, the wire size/gauge could be an issue.  If you have actual shorts from open or bare wiring going to ground, there may be wire insulation damage, which can be cuts at conduit ends/junctions (if conduit).  With Romex-type cable wiring, nails or cable staples can damage the wiring insulation.

I firmly believe in the use of an insulation resistance test of wiring.  I learned this from highly professional electricians/engineers who consistently use expensive meters like the Fluke 1587 to simulate non-destructive higher voltage flow in wiring circuits.  During these kinds of meter tests, the voltage is high but amperage is low enough that there is no risk of actually damaging the wires being tested.  

Given the high cost of these test instruments and the learning curve for using such tools properly, it would be cheaper to have a professional electrician run these tests.  Rather than isolating wires and tracing individual circuits behind walls, an insulation resistance test for shorts to ground or shorts between two wires can be run.  

A professional will consider the wire gauge for the amperage capacity and length of wire runs.  A professional will isolate and test circuits that are shorting.  Sounds like time for some professional assistance...



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...