1987 YJ (2.5L TBI) after warming up, high idle speed and bogs down above 3000 RPM.

Starts, runs and drives really well.  Idle speed seems fine.  The problems seem to start after its warmed up, the idle runs at ~1500, and the engine hesitates above ~ 3000 rpm.  My plan is to test the throttle body position sensor and the fuel pressure.  I started on the position sensor this morning and found that I have a 4-wire sensor, but the wiring diagrams I've been able to find reference a 3-wire sensor.  https://wrangleryjforum.com/attachments/jeep-wrangler-yj-wiring-diagrams-pdf.115642/

So I guess its a 2-pot sensor and I'm reasonably sure that they are Black(GND), White/Black(Hot), Brown(Pot1) and Green/White(Pot2).  But I'm struggling to get any voltage readings with a back probe from ground to either pot.  I've removed and replaced the connector a couple of times to verify that I have good connection with the probes.  I'm measuring with the key in the on position.  I can't believe the sensor would be completely dead and the jeep would still start and run, so I have to believe I'm doing something wrong.

The jeep is new to me, I bought it maybe two months ago.  I've replaced the master cylinder and some brake lines, and resolved some tail/tow electrical problems.  

Anyway I'm going to go get a fuel pressure test kit and do that while I wait for someone here to hopefully illuminate me or at least tell me I'm on the wrong track.

• Administrators

Stever...What year YJ?  I'll furnish a wiring schematic if on hand. 

You're on the right track with a voltage probe/test of the sensor and verification of the TBI system fuel pressure.  Also look for a vacuum leak or a restriction on the return fuel flow to the fuel tank from the throttle body...We'll walk through this.

Moses