Installed Carter AFB Four-Barrel on 1976 Jeep CJ7 304 V8

• Administrators

Nash...If gas is "flooding" over from the float bowl, the carburetor's needle/seat and float level need attention.  The float could be dropping too low and cocking the needle open.  The float level could be set too high.

If gasoline is coming up from the throat of the carburetor, that's an internal circuit, gasket or check ball issue.  If you have not changed the ignition timing, this should not be "backfire" flooding.

Was the carburetor used?  If so, I would bench strip it and carefully follow the instructions that come with a rebuild/overhaul kit.  Make sure all parts are in place and match up properly.  Is this carburetor a genuine Carter AFB, or is it a similar Edelbrock four-barrel?  If a true AFB, what was the engine application for this carburetor? 

Moses

• Moses Ludel changed the title to Installed Carter AFB Four-Barrel on 1976 Jeep CJ7 304 V8
  • 9 months later...

Sorry for not responding to the questions you asked sooner have been busy with other projects and my full-time jobs. Yes the carburetor is used.  As far as I know it is a true carter afb. The guy who's jeep I'm trying to figure out and get running for hot it from another guy that had it on a 304 supposedly. 

• Administrators

Hi, Nash, we understand busy...Assuming that the engine is not backfiring, the float, needle and seat could be the issue.  The carburetor needs a trip to your workbench with a shop manual or detailed rebuilding kit instructions.  Once bench stripped with all parts accounted for, you can carefully set up the carburetor and all linkages to specification. 

The AFB is a straightforward rebuild if you have good instructions handy.  Rebuilding results are predictable if the parts are all there and install correctly.  You might want to confirm the jet and metering rod sizes to determine the original engine application.  A tag and stamping numbers are a fast way to identify the carburetor.  If a true Carter or Federal Mogul AFB, and not an Edelbrock, the original Carter carburetors were used on everything from late 'fifties V8s and muscle car dual four-barrel systems to sixties high performance Corvettes and big-block GM and Chrysler V8 engines.  It would be smart to know the original CFM flow or engine application. 

You don't want to over-fuel the smaller 304 V8 engine.  There were smaller V8 engine applications, and the 390 CFM AFB was popular for mildly modified Jeep V6 Dauntless 225 engines.  I  would confirm the application.

Keep us posted on your findings...

Moses