2006 F150 Harley Edition TRANSMISSION FAILURE code

2006 F150 200,000 kilometers, Transmission was working fine , one day on the highway I got the code.

Before I could get home, no forward gears, Expensive tow home, Fluid very low, Appears to have frt seal

leak at torque converter, Filled transmission. Shifts fine, Still leaks Still getting TRANSMISSION FAILURE

code. Trans shop wants to rebuild it of course, I am thinking of RE RE trans fix seal, drop pan, new oil and 

filter. I also have a Snap On MT2500 scan tool , What cartridge needed to diag?

• Administrators

Bruce Kit...If you caught this in time with no internal damage from running low on fluid, by changing the seal, filter, ATF and so forth, the problems and code should go away.  The code may simply need clearing now that the transmission line pressure has restored.  The refill with fluid should have restored the line pressure.  The fact that the transmission shifts fine now is obviously a good place to start.

I do not use the MT2500, perhaps others will catch your question and reply regarding the cartridge.  Try clearing the DTC code(s) with a simple (inexpensive like Harbor Freight level) code reader and see whether the failure code comes back.  That could be the end of the failure code.  If not, chase down the stored code.  Share it, and we can go from there...

Moses

Thats what I am thinking Moses, I just drove the truck around the yard ( 5 minutes) seems to shift OK

As a retired Mech I have the tools etc to do a Re-Re, Just trying to avoid the $3500 bill the trans shop

are quoting , No Harbour freight in Canada, I tried unhooking battery, But on todays 5 min drive in the yard, 

the TRANSMISSION FAILURE warning came back. 

• Administrators

Bruce Kit...I would make the repair (reseal) and see how the transmission performs.  If okay, you're on the right track with trying to clear the trouble code.  It might be worth noting what code the system threw under "TRANSMISSION FAILURE".  The trigger for the code is the clue you need.

One suggestion before the tear down:  Do a line pressure troubleshoot to see whether the pump and clutch apply pressures are normal after the starvation and fluid refill.  Line pressure tests through the gears are the best window into the transmission's condition short of a tear down.  

Keep us in the loop.  I would like to know that your self-repair has the happy ending it deserves.  We both would rather fix the problem ourselves.  Of course, if the pressure port tests turn up something specific, you'll be able to make an informed decision about what to do next.

If your F150 is a 4x4, you should have the 4R75E transmission.  Correct?  The other available unit was the AT 8-330.

Moses

• Administrators

Bruce Kit...Codes are always helpful, a place to start...I am a strong advocate of using FSMs.  They are a good investment and sometimes available in affordable CD format at eBay.  An FSM would not only share information on retrieving codes, it would be your guide for any mechanical work...

Moses