Oil Filter Choice for Honda XR650R

cspeer1

• Administrators

Hi, cspeer1...K&N and others make oil filters, I'm sure many of their claims can be substantiated.  An overlooked fact with smaller micron filtration, however, is the oil pressure drop across the filter.  I use OEM filters for their engineered compatibility with the engine's lubrication demands and Honda oil pump design.

Stainless steel and other metal membrane, reusable filters make sense but again raise the question of pressure drop across the filter.  The other issue with a metal matrix filter is thorough cleaning and often the need for compressed air to remove fine particles.  (Only blow air according to the filter manufacturer's recommendations to avoid embedding particles in the filter.)  The Honda XR650R and other motorcycle engines build sludge and debris around the oil filter;  it's a messy job to clean out the filter area in any case, and debris must not enter the oil inlet passage.  For me, adding the step of cleaning a stainless or other matrix custom filter is not appealing, though many users swear by these filters.

The OEM filter is not fantastic, but it does meet Honda's requirements for the engine.  Any engine that uses the same oil to lubricate the clutch, transmission and the engine parts will pick up debris.  For that reason, I change the oil filter regularly, more often than the change cycle for the high-cost synthetic motor oil.  I use Genuine Honda filters in all three of my XR engines.  Simple, inexpensive and quick to replace.

Do not neglect to clean the dry-sump lubrication system's oil strainer screen in the frame...Overlooking this step can lead to oil flow issues and engine damage.  This may not need attention as frequently as the paper oil filter, but the screen does need cleaning periodically.  The Oil Strainer Screen inside the right crankcase is also important and often neglected between clutch plate replacement services.  See these two filters below:

image.png

Also, you may be lucky and not find "soft threads" at the Oil Filter Cover.  After several oil changes and tightening the screws to factory specification, it's almost impossible to avoid softening or even stripping a thread(s).  I did a how-to video on a thread upgrade using Time-Sert® stainless steel thread inserts.  The article and video are available at the magazine:

Honda XR650R Oil Filter Cover Thread Upgrade

Moses 

• Administrators

You're welcome, cspeer1...Be careful with the oil filter cover threads...The factory torque setting of 9 lbf-ft is unnerving.  Time-Sert® stainless steel thread inserts would handle this torque, but OEM aluminum case threads can strip, stretch or "pull" from repeated removal and installation at this torque setting.   Oil in that area doesn't help, as the lubricant makes it easy to accidentally over-tighten the screws.  Wipe engine oil from the threads and clean blind hole threads with a suitable spray solvent.

Others might comment.  I find this a tight setting for 6mm NHSF screws into aluminum.  With OEM aluminum threads or even the Time-Sert® stainless steel threads, 7-8 lbf-ft feels like plenty...Use caution, find the tightening sweet spot:  avoid over-tightening; secure the cover screws just tight enough to assure that they won't loosen in service:

image.png

Curious how lube circulates in an XR650R dry sump lubrication system?  See the illustration below.  The oil has a big job to do and travels long distances to do it!

Moses

image.png