Question regarding installation of aftermarket oil pressure and voltage gauges

• Administrators

Hi, Jason...If you can share the instructions/wiring diagram that comes with the gauges, we can explore how to tap into your classic 4x4 without damaging its wiring.  Upload the diagram (a photo, PDF or whatever works) to this topic.  If there's an instruction sheet online at the manufacturer's site, please share.  I can download a PDF and look it over.

That will be our starting point.  I understand your reluctance to damage or devalue any of the truck's systems...I do have early Toyota 4x4 Pickup shop manuals and may have a wiring schematic.

Moses

Thank Moses for your quick response. I’m learning this as I go. I haven’t purchased the gauges yet because I was not confident that this could be done without cutting the existing wiring, however I am moving forward and ordering the kit. I will respond once I receive the kit. Thanks again 

• Administrators

No problem, Jason...Does the manufacturer's website have a downloadable (PDF) instruction sheet?  (Some sites do.)  If so, provide a link or the PDF.  We'll see what the instructions say.  

Since the gauges are electric and not a pressure line oil gauge, the oil gauge should have a sender that either threads into an engine galley port or fits a "T" from the existing oil sender.  The voltmeter should not present a problem, it simply needs a voltage signal, which can be from an existing terminal stud source (no wire splicing). 

Is the gauge set specifically for your Toyota application or "universal"?  Either way, we'll figure this out.

Moses

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Moses, I received my new gauges. I decided to buy some original gauges and cut the wiring harness off of them and install the harnesses on my new gauges. I did this because I wanted to keep a set of working original gauges for the truck just in case I wanted to go back to the originals. This cost me extra but I’m a little anal about keeping things neat and clean. So if I sell the truck or want to go back to OEM in this instance then it is a easy swap. I appreciate your willingness to help!

Hope you have a blessed new year

On 1/4/2023 at 6:03 PM, Moses Ludel said:

Jason1234...Let us know how this works out.  Here if you have wiring questions...Happy New Year!

Moses

I got the gauges installed. I used the original wiring harnesses from a set of gauges I bought online. I spliced the new gauges to the old wiring harnesses. This worked perfectly. No alterations or damage to my truck wiring. And I can go back to original gauges if ever desired. 

Equus brand gauges

Thanks Moses for your willingness to help

528CF0C2-E1EA-4131-A927-4B461B680F53.jpeg

• Administrators

A very neat, clean and pristine installation!  Years ago, I had a 1955 Ford F100 pickup that was a testbed for engine and transmission swaps.  I made mounts that fit to the factory engine and transmission mounting positions.  This required virtually no modifications other than a few drilled holes.  I eventually did restore that truck to a near stock condition.

At the time, these now classic '53-'56 Ford F100 pickups were plentiful and popular for "hot rodding"—often brutishly modified.  I can appreciate your concern for authenticity and option to restore your valued 1982 Toyota Hilux 4x4 to its original form. 

You have a classic truck.  The early 4x4 Toyota compact pickups with a beam front axle featured the indestructible "300,000 Mile Club" 22R engine.  I had three FJ40 Land Cruisers:  1971, 1976 and 1978.  The latter two were extensively modified OFF-ROAD Magazine project vehicles, the '76 in the late eighties then the '78 in the mid-nineties.  The '78 was a floor feature at the SEMA Show, Las Vegas...Toyota had it going on!  Enjoy your truck.

Moses

I was brought up in Fords. Drove them for years. But slowly I moved to Toyotas. I own 4 right now. The “Yoter” will be mine until I die. Wife will have a very close to original classic she can sell and get some spending money lol.

Thanks  again