Need 4 in/hg Vacuum Switch for 1985 Jeep CJ-7 Engine

My CJ failed smog so I rebuilt the carb and set everything to factory settings and have been going through all the sensors to see if I have a bad one. I got to the 4 in hg vacuum switch and it will not actuate at all when a vacuum is applied. 10 in switch works. After searching the net I can't seem to find a replacement. Does anyone know where I can get one? Thank you!

Cool! Just so you know this will be a slow moving project. I do believe that the vacuum switch was the problem, haven't taken it down for a smog test yet. I bought the jeep in Aug of last year and parked it in the garage until about a month and a half ago. Put fresh gas in it and some carb cleaner and ran 2 tanks in it before I attempted a smog. It failed for "High Speed CO" too high. At this point I was very uneducated on this carb and emission system. I changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Attempted another smog, failed for the same thing. Got in to the books and internet and learned a ton. I rebuilt the carb and adjusted everything to factory specs. and tuned everything in. I could see that the stepper motor metering valve was in the full forward position (full rich) at 2000 rpm. Started trouble shooting the whole emission system and found that the 4 in hg vacuum switch was not working. Replaced it and now I can see the stepper motor working as advertised. That is where I am at so far. I would like to continue through the rest of the sensors and gadgets to ensure they are working and I can learn from the experience. And by the way, this 1985 CJ-7 Laredo is 95% Stock and in excellent condition, could use some paint. I would like to keep it stock and not put a fuel injection system it it, I kinda like the stock idea. I would really appreciate your input. Thank you!

• Administrators

Sounds exciting, RuebenT!  You're very thorough and minimized expense to get the stepper motor operative.  Coming off continual enrichment mode should do it if the cat and Pulse Air work properly.  Good job! 

Post some photos at the forums "Garage", this sounds like a rare CJ with good history...Stock is always the best place to start.  You'll have a very reliable Jeep CJ-7.  I'll watch for your posts and topics at the forums' CJ Jeep section!

Moses