Running a dual, isolated setup. Deep cycle yellow top for aux needs and a die hard platinum for starter battery. 

The yellow top has lasted since bought in 2002. Not a bad run. Now not holding a charge. The diehard is soon to follow. 

Suggestions for replacements?

• Administrators

I'd like others' opinions here, too!  I know you're off-road a lot and on the Rubicon Trail, etc.  A sealed battery does have assets from a roll-over standpoint (not in your "plans", I'm sure!) plus zero maintenance.  Fifteen years for a yellow top is great, the Diehard also has a good reputation.

One thing that has made a huge difference in the battery life for our vehicles is the use of a Battery Tender in the winter and during extended parking stints.  The two Mopar batteries in our '05 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 are the originals, they came with the truck when we bought it new in October 2004.  That's likely some kind of record for OEM lead acid batteries and a diesel engine...I place all credit with the regular use of a Battery Tender.

On that note, I used a CTEK charger/reconditioning mode recently on both batteries (in factory parallel mode), and the recon was not necessary.  This was surprising, as it indicates no sulfate effect over 12 years and 155,000-plus miles of use!  Here's the CTEK and reconditioning process, the only sensible way to "bring a battery back".  Works for lead acid batteries:

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/CTEK-Battery-Chargers-for-Battery-Maintenance%2C-Restoration-and-Storage?r=1

The CTEK charger also provides a float charge and starting mode...

Moses

Great video.  new info.  My yellow top optima lasted a long time.  Today looking at two Odessey 34M-PC1500 for jeep.

seems my old 'battery tender' may not be up to snuff for the job.

i see CTEK offers a part number 56-158 and the other 56-864.  Not sure about the difference.

Also see a NOCO Genius charger, G3500 

Also:   BatteryMINDer 128CEC1    but this one is like $170!

Thoughts here?

• Administrators

RareCJ8...Here is the link to the CTEK charger that I used.  It will work with any type of lead-acid battery.  There are details and specifications at:

http://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0-polar

The CTEK 5.0 Polar works best for the uses I describe in the video...Glad you liked the video!

Moses