Just a quick post to get restarted on Moses' great forum.

I have redone a few Scouts and then lost my mind and bought a couple of Jeeps, but now after all that I am back in the Scout World..

Quite by accident I came across this pretty decent 1980 Scout II sitting at the curb of this house and there was a guy in the yard so I asked him if this was his Scout.  He replied yes, so I asked if it could be My Scout..  after a short haggle, we agreed on a price so I went back the next day with dead presidents and took my new 1980 Scout to my shop..

All is right with the world now that I have another Scout..  with a little TLC she will be kicking up dust again after sitting in the previous owners garage since 2008.:D

Here is the only picture I have of her so far and she is dirty so don't be mean..

I'll post progress as I get things going..

But I'm probably going to have to change my user name..

Good to be back,

Gene

1980 IH Scout II.jpg

• Administrators

Great place to start, Gene!  (If you need to change that "TejasCJ7" moniker to something more "Scout II", don't be bashful.)  

I've always liked the '80 model for its Dana 300 transfer case, a one-year application.  Years ago, Jon Compton at Border Parts acquired pallets full of new Scout II Dana 300 units, they became the Holy Grail TC to retrofit into the earlier models...They sold out long ago.

Give us a rundown of the equipment.  Is there a Line Setting Ticket?  Asking a lot after 37 years!

Moses  

Hey Moses, great to be back on your site..

If I could just change my moniker to "Tejas",  that would be generic enough for me and whatever other foolishness I may get involved with..

As an aside, a little history of the word Tejas: Tejas is the Spanish translation of the Caddo Indian word Taysha, which means "friend, ally or a greeting such as hello".  After the Spanish changed it to Tejas, the Gringos further changed it to Texas..

The LST is still on the glove box door, but it has been wet and I am in the process of trying to salvage it.  If I cannot, I will order a replacement..not cheap, but good to have.

This Scout was particularly interesting to me as it is the last year made and has a fair amount of options: 345 V8, 727 Automatic, AC, PS, PB, Sport Steering Wheel are the ones I have identified so far..

I am not going to do a resto on her, just  get everything working properly and the very little rust cut out and sealed from further rotting.. I plan on putting a SpyderWeb Shade top on once I get the full rollbar installed.  That's about all I will need down here on the South Texas coast area..  not much winter..

I will post more as I get some work done..

Gene

• Administrators

Lovin' the options, Gene!  The engine is one of the strongest and most durable gasoline V-8s ever built.  Medium-duty truck stuff!  The A727 from Chrysler was a wise choice, they survived behind the 426 hemi and 440 wedge-heads in muscle cars, the 413 and 440 industrial strength engines in motorhomes, a proven transmission without overdrive. By design, the Chrysler A727 likely survives well because it doesn't have the overdrive!  And you have the iron Dana 300 transfer case with helically cut gears!

AC in Texas is always welcome, the PS/PB and sport steering wheel makes this a dream to drive at this wheelbase...Can't wait to see where you take this '80 Scout II, it may very well be a "keeper"!

Moses

• 2 months later...

Well, things have progressed with the 1980 Scout, but not in a good way.

Since I purchased the 80, I knew it had some rust areas, but the PO really did a good job with the bedliner and I missed a lot...

But all is not lost, as I also purchased a 1979 Scout II Terra that has been in the barn since 1985 and it is pretty solid.  I also had an opportunity to purchase a 1979 Traveler that had been used as a parts car for a 3 into 1 build.  

So now I have a 1980 Scout II, 1979 Terra and a 1979 Traveler (partial).

After I removed all of the bedliner in and out of the 1980 and the young man I use to do the body work for me started cutting out the floor area, we found very bad things that would bust the budget to fix..  So I have come up with a typical Senile Old Man idea, who also has done 4 of these Scouts previously, and we are proceeding.

Basically, I am going to take all the running gear and optional items off of the 1980, i.e. 345 engine, 727 Tranny, Dana 300 transfer case, power steering and what ever else I an salvage from the 80 and install it in the low mileage 1979 Terra.

This will upgrade the Terra from a 304 with the T19 tranny to a 345 with a 727 automatic with the Dana 300 in place of the Dana 20, PS, PB, AC and a few other items such as bucket seats.  In the process of doing all this, everything will be gone through since the engine, tranny etc will be out might as well.  No performance adders, just removal of all smog items and upgrade of whatever needs it.. 

The Terra will lose its pickup top and bulkhead and get a custom roll cage from just over the front seats all the way to the tailgate with it all fitting under a new Softtopper fold down top.

This should give me a pretty nice excursion Scout and will really ride nice with the 118" wheelbase.  I am not planning to repaint the Terra as it has a great patina, just fix some small spots, lightly sand and shoot a satin clear over it.. 

This is going to take through this year and into next, but I hope to have it all done by next spring...  

Anyway, that is pretty up to date.. dismantling starts tomorrow.. after everything is finished, I should have a Scout II chassis and a Scout Traveler chassis for sale, along with a bunch of parts, I hope..

Moses, would you change my handle from TejasCJ7 to just Tejas?? or Scout Stupid or something like that :D

Thanks,

Gene 

• Administrators

Really like the Terra plan!  The 118" wheelbase, for those unfamiliar, is only 2" longer than a JK Wrangler Unlimited.  Ride quality will be superior to the shorter wheelbase model 4x4s.

Lots of work, but if anybody is "expert" at Scout II/Terra restoration, you're it!  Should be fun to see this project unfold.  Open up a resto topic for the Terra and '80 powertrain upgrade.  Many will want to watch this unfold!

Moses