Jeep TJ 2.5L Cummins R2.8L Crate Engine Swap

Hello!

I'm one of the many 2.5L 4 cylinder Jeep TJ owners who want's more power. I've thought about doing many complicated swaps. I've even thought about putting a 6 cylinder jeep TJ engine in my 2.5L. With the new Cummins R2.8L 4 Cylinder Diesel engines, I really wanted to do the swap. What things would I have to have done? I'd be having a mechanic do the swap of course, but I'm looking into pricing and if it's worth my while. Everybody says to just trade it for the 6 cylinder jeep, or trade and do the swap on the 6 cylinder jeep. I have a lot of money on my 2.5L Jeep in suspension and more, and I don't really want to just get rid of it for half it's price. I've seen people do the swaps before, I just wonder if swapping this new crate engine is possible? Even if I have to buy a new transmission, radiator, computer, etc.

• Administrators

itsbobbydean...You've put good thought into this conversion and your needs.  The prototype vehicle, which has been in service for a while and is illustrated in the SEMA Show interview video at the magazine, has worked well.  I'm in steady contact with Advance Adapters, they are a valued sponsor at the magazine and forums.  We were talking about a 50-State emissions legal diesel swap into a Jeep CJ, YJ, TJ, XJ or ZJ and WJ for years, and recently this R2.8L Cummins came into play.  It's a natural if you plan to keep your Jeep TJ Wrangler for a long time and can amortize the cost of the crate engine, adapters, additional parts and the installation labor.

As for alternatives and necessary parts, at the magazine I cover the welding and cutting involved with replacing a 2.5L YJ or TJ Jeep engine with a 4.0L or 4.2L inline six.  Here is the article: http://www.4wdmechanix.com/MIG-Welding?r=1.  Making that conversion would be similar to the amount of work involved with the R2.8L Cummins diesel installation.  If you want to keep your TJ Wrangler, it would be just as practical to do the diesel as the inline six conversion—if you can afford the Cummins crate engine package and the Advance Adapters pieces...

As for additional parts, your AX5 transmission is likely too light for the diesel engine.  Like a 4.0L six-cylinder swap, you want to consider the AX15 transmission, which Advance Adapters sells brand new.  You need the AA engine/transmission adapters, clutch and linkage (could be in the kit), it's stated that a 6-cylinder radiator (new in your case, perhaps with a shroud and fan) will handle the diesel according to Cummins, the transfer case would be okay (NP/NV231), you'd need the usual exhaust system and fabrication work that accompanies any engine swap.  Far more details should be available by the time of release, the aim of Cummins Repower/Advance Adapters is to make this a user friendly installation.

Since Advance Adapters wants this to be a fairly easy conversion, many of the detail parts should come with the adapter package.  Similarly, Cummins has made the crate engine "run ready" with the ECU/ECM, the fly-by-wire throttle, the power steering pump, a vacuum pump for your power brakes, the flywheel and a fuel pump on the engine.  This may sound like a shoe-in, but any swap "package" is just a starting point.  There are many details that creep up in any swap, wiring and other chores, though Cummins does furnish the main crate engine harness.

As for cost, figures have not yet been released.  You do need to stay in contact with Advance Adapters, the good news is that your TJ Wrangler is already on the prototype level as a candidate, and the predicted launch of the package was the first quarter 2017.  We're well into that now, so the package described in the video interview at the magazine should be near ready for release, initially for the Jeep TJ Wrangler...We've been in discussion about an XJ Cherokee swap package prototype, using the magazine's 4x4 with the AW4 automatic transmission.  That has been tentatively slated for early summer.

Moses 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Here's an update from Cummins on the R2.8L Crate Engine availability and developments:

Cummins Inc.