Need Rear Left Gas Tank for 1973 I-H 1210 Camper Special

Bjorne, although i dont know much about the scouts, i do know a lot of original parts have been either sold off, or no longer made. However, there is a site, www.scoutparts.com, that may be able to help you in finding info on the parts you need. They also, at least from what it appears, sell a 19 gallon tank, although i dont know if that is a factory replacement, or a modified, made to work redesign. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Any 1973 or similar I-H 3/4-ton 1210 2WD pickups being parted out?  Thomas, you might try running a parts wanted ad (free) at our forums.  There's a section devoted to parts where you can list what you need for your I-H truck...

How does the truck look and run?  Is it what you expected?  Are you pleased with the model and its equipment?

Moses

Hi Moses!  I just come home from a snowboard holiday in Whistler. I changed wheels and tires today.  I like the pick up.  It is a lot of job since it is almost unrestored except the paint. I have to change all brake hoses bushings etc. Engine runs very nice , but carburator need some new parts. I have ordered them. Do yopy know what the bushings in the end of the front sway bar is called and where to get them moses?   It is much small things to do , but i like this pick up. A friend of mine have three fire trucks mod 1973/74 and he will sell be some parts. He has a gas tank i can use and a km. instrument +++.  I bought the fuel filler hose for my left gas tank and will mount it tomorrow.. My pyramid valve is disconnected  also the fuel pump  and an electric pump has been mounted. All this un-original shit will soon be gone.  

reards Thomas

• Administrators

Hi, Thomas...Whistler, British Columbia, Canada?  I was there for the inaugural launch of the Eco-Challenge in 1996 as a spokesperson for Tread Lightly and Land Rover on the outdoor panel...Same place?  Beautiful country!

Glad you like the I-H and have a source for the fuel tank and what must be a rare km instrument [panel]?  As for your question:  "Do you know what the bushings in the end of the front sway bar are called and where to get them."

Answer:  The bushings are called sway bar bushings, no surprise here!   I would try Energy Suspension, Prothane or Daystar.  They make most of the urethane bushings for the aftermarket lift kits and could have something that will match for the size and shape for your I-H bushings.  These would not be rubber, but instead urethane.  You'd want black color to at least look original.  If you knew crossover numbers to G.M., Ford or Chrysler parts, that would help.  

Here is a Prothane catalog, note the many types and styles of bushings:   https://www.dmpfasteners.com/catalogs/prothane.pdf,  There is also Rare Parts in the U.S., they have parts for vintage vehicles and may have a solution.  Caution here though, Rare Parts makes custom pieces in small or unit quantities, which can get expensive:  http://rareparts.com/.

Interestingly, I looked around online, and the 1210 4x4 models are easier for sourcing parts than the 2WD 1210.  This would be the use of Dana live front axles on the 4x4s, more common with interchange to G.M., Ford and Chrysler applications.

If you want OEM or NOS rubber bushings, MOOG and TRW had replacement parts in the day.  There may be eBay NOS pieces from these sources.  Of course, there is Scout Light Line, and they may be of help or at least supply OEM part numbers for crossover to MOOG or TRW:  http://www.scoutlightline.com/default.aspx?pg=15ed60fa-b156-44e3-9b56-5a8cd94e4515.

Moses

Hi! moses! I found the endlink bushings in ih america shop. The sway bar bushings i will find on ebay. I took out the pyramid valve and restored it today. Early ovner has disconnected it and  the holes for the connections were open. The valve was full of dead insectts. I cleaned it and got some new nitrile o-rings  and made a new seal for the total cost us$ 15. The plastic hoses was defected , so i will buy some new meters of it.  The fuel pump has to be changed. It has been disconnected and the pipes is open. An electric is mounted , but i like to have it the way it was from Illnois. Maybe i am crazy , but i like it original.

Regards Thomas

And often ssome jerk has made some bad electric connection to it. Got some good advice from binder plane where to get bushings for my sway bar. Got them cheap on amazon .com. Nedd all bushings in the suspension. Left front brake drum is very rusty and has to bechanged. Brake hoses are also very bad. But i do it step by stem.

• Administrators

Thomas...Numbers and casting numbers are what you need.  The drum diameters and brake shoe widths can be measured with a caliper or roughly with a tape measure.  The wheel cylinders should have casting numbers, and if OE, these would be Bendix part numbers that you can cross over to other brands.  The diameter of the wheel cylinder bores and piston diameters is what matters when seeking parts.

Warning: Be careful around these brakes.  This is the era of asbestos brake lining!  There is likely loose dust with asbestos in the brake lining.  Use the right safety equipment like a respirator designed and rated to filter out asbestos dust.  Asbestos dust is so fine that it will pass right through a cheap dust/particle mask.  Keep brake dust out of your shop and the work environment.  Do not use a standard shop vacuum to pick up the dust, brake dust can go through the vacuum and out into the environment...I use an Ammco 1450 Brake Parts Washer for work around asbestos-era brakes.  (The later machine is the 1475, click here to see one.)  There are likely European machines and equipment for this work.

Moses