I inherited a 66cj5 and in time I'd like to restore it, let's say "High hopes!":). As far as I can tell there have been no modifications, stock replacement of parts. For now Id rather keep the engine/ ignition/ suspension stock. This may well be a play toy for the wife and I, mild but little wheeling. There are a few things that need attention.

First is the wiring, it's been butchered. So is there a source for a direct replacement harness? Second, Tires and Wheels. Im looking at 235 75r 15 tires with some aftermarket rims. My only concern is the way the jeep is geared, is that tire TOO big of a diameter. Seats to be replaced. Oh and the color WILL BE CHANGED!!!! LOL

2016-10-16 11.53.13.jpg

2016-10-16 11.51.45 HDR.jpg

2016-10-16 11.52.29-1.jpg

2016-10-16 11.51.31.jpg

2016-10-16 11.52.52.jpg

Very fortunate place to start, Monty!  The Jeep is highly original and looks intact with the prized 225 V-6 engine.   Is that a PTO winch?

Wiring is a big undertaking in general.  Painless Wiring and others offer "universal" wiring harnesses that are not difficult to install.  I used a kit like this when wiring the 1955 CJ-5 Jeep that is featured in my Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Manual:  1946-71 (Bentley Publishers).  This book, incidentally, would cover a lot of your restoration chores and provide additional insights, it's available in the book trade, at Amazon and through several 4WD parts retailers.

You have a great beginning...Yes, the color change would be an enhancement!  The tires you propose would be okay with the 225 V-6 engine power and the likely gear ratio.  3.73:1 is most common in CJs with the V-6; you can confirm the ratio at the axle tag.

Keep us posted, your photos are great!

Moses

Monty,

Moses' book will be a lifesaver.  It does look like a solid platform from which to start a restoration.  As for wiring, I did a frame up restoration of an '83 CJ-7.  While everything I read about the Painless harness said they were top notch, the price was anything but Painless. 

I ultimately went with a Centech harness.  They have many of the same features as Painless such as labeled high temperature rated wire. They also use (at least on my kit)  a custom WeatherPak firewall pass through that is fully sealed.  You will have to terminate some of the connections, as they leave them open so you can set the exact length of the circuit. Unlike others, MOST of the circuits like the tail lights are pre-terminated, as the routing and needed wire length is fairly static for those. 

Another advantage I found with Centech is their willingness to customize.  My CJ has a Cherokee powertrain in it.  The EFI engine requires the addition and deletion of a few wires to keep things tidy.  Centech did those without additional charge.  Looks like their early CJ kit retails for $389.  I would at least give them a ring and see how their kit compares to Painless.

Case

Good suggestion for Monty...Thanks for sharing your experience and the details, 60Bubba!  Yes, a tailored harness would be much easier than starting from scratch with a "universal" wiring kit.  The price seems reasonable for the major time savings...

Hi Monty,

Very nice jeep!  It reminds me a lot of my '67 CJ5 when I bought it 7 years ago.  

Walck's 4WD built the wiring harness for mine, and I can honestly say that it is superb in every way.  It is also probably as close to the original wiring harness in appearance as could be re-created today, though the quality of the materials exceeds the original factory specifications and electrical requirements.   The ends are soldered, and the wire lengths are pre-determined, which helps to minimize the work necessary to install the harness.   It not only fit well, but came with the proper connectors, bulb sockets, etc.

Carl Walck builds these harnesses himself, and is available by phone to answer any questions that may arise during installation. Since he builds each one individually, Carl is able to customize them as necessary.   He also sends a questionnaire to fill out before he builds it, in order to make sure he correctly accommodates for various production changes that were made within model years (for example, back-up lights were added during the mid-1967 model year).  Here's a link to Walck's website's page on wiring harnesses:  http://walcks4wd.com/walcks-willyswiringharnesses/   

I would highly recommend Walck's, not only for wiring harnesses, but for most any other Jeep parts you may need.   Carl and his family are, as the saying goes, "Good People". 

I also agree 100% with 60Bubba's comment re. Moses' book....you've given an ideal gift to your new mistress!  :D

Maury

Thanks for the input and ideas!  Snoopy2x thanks for the site. Where I'm not looking at staying period specific I'm leaning on 60bubba's thoughts. Centech's harness appears to be what I'm looking for. Add a few waterproof connectors and a good quality loom. I won't have to worry for ALONG time. Phone call time.

While I'm waiting for harness to show up. I find I need new gaskets  for oil bath breather, there is 1 inside and 1 where it sets on the carb (this one is gone). My local parts store was at a loss. Any ideas?? 

Try some of the vintage parts sources, Monty.  Also try Fram and Felpro catalogs.  NAPA was once good at supplying these kinds of parts; Tractor Supply, John-Deere and other tractor parts sources would be good prospects...

Moses

Couple of things, I was looking for a gasket for the air breather to set on. I found it at RockAuto.com, under a buck. Been working on my wiring harness, been stumbling here and there. Not sure on this one. The wires for the wipers, got 2 red-1 for each wiper motor, 1 brown, 1 blue. The brown and blue continue to the right side. Do I need a separate red(power) for each motor? Thanks

IMG_1960.thumb.JPG.dc35242665fc71eb009cf39447524998.JPG

I want to add that wires from the wipers ended at the bottom of the widow. No signs of them ever been connected, no switch on the dash.

snoopy2X shared his excellent wiper motor rebuild steps, Bosch OEM wiper motors like yours...He'll have your wiring questions fresh in mind!  Let's see whether he catches your post, Monty...

Moses 

(Yep, caught it, Moses!  :))

Monty, the two red wires are the main power wires running from the switch (assuming you still have an original working switch - for photos of an original, see the link Moses included above) to each motor.  The brown is the "parking" power wire, and the blue is the ground. 

This post on the EarlyCJ5 site, as I mentioned in the thread on rebuilding the American Bosch wiper motors, references this original wiring arrangement:

http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.php?threads/wiper-motor-question.107558/#post-1318035

As is also mentioned in that thread, Walcks 4WD can make a repro of the wiper wiring harness, which is separate from the main harness, for you.   If your switch is not original, you could have Walcks install blade connectors on the new harness, and/or bridge the two main power wires to allow you to use a different switch.  The original switches are no longer available. 

I'll be glad to try to answer any questions about this that I can!

Maury

Thanks! When I get home I'll know what to do. Could one of you put up a pic of how you routed the wires. The transition from the window to\into the dash. Looking for ideas. Thanks again 

Monty, the routing of the wire as shown in this photo is the same as the original factory routing in the '66 and '67 CJ5s with the one-speed electric wipers.  The noticeable slack in the wiring harness is there in order to allow the windshield to be folded down. 

You'll need a grommet to fit the hole in the dash panel (mine is 3/4" dia.) with a 1/4" hole in the center.  Here's what I used:  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-12S-Pack-Of-10-Black-Rubber-Split-Grommets-A-1-B-1-4-C-1-4-D-1-16-E-3-4-in-/131966938623?hash=item1eb9d7adff:g:HKoAAOSwv0tU5LrG&vxp=mtr

See the note at the end of the wiper motor rebuild thread for the wiring clamps that attach the harness to the windshield frame.

IMAG0253.jpg

I was curious what that hole was for?? LOL    Thanks snoopy2x

With me being gone through the week driving and spend time on the weekends working on the Jeep, my Wife and I joked that she had became a Jeep Widow. So I got her this. She just laughed and said she loved it. 

jeep shirt.jpg

Quick question, on this new harness it has an "exciter" wire that comes off the new alternator. That would go to the Amp light on the speedo cluster? Or an Amp meter. Or I can just terminated it, correct? I can not find the paperwork that talks about that wire. 

Been plugging away at this harness, its a slow  process when one is gone through the week. but I'm gaining. 

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1977.JPG

I was getting ready to wire the wipers and discovered I have a loose wire inside. Then after reading snopp2x's thread and opening the other motor   I find that I'm missing the plastic piece with the brass button. Any ideas??

IMG_1979.JPG

IMG_1992.jpg

Hi, Monty...Did you get past the wiper motor contact issue?  Do you need snoopy2x to reply here?

I followed your link, and the sender shown is for Ford applications.  I looked up the Jeep V-6 sender, it also fits several Ford engines.  You do need a sender with the correct threads, but the sender must also match the ohms rating for the Jeep dash gauge.

Look the sender up by both the Buick V-6 engine and vehicle type, you need compatibility between a sender that fits properly and also has the right ohms resistance range to make the gauge read accurately.

Moses

I saw that the sender was designed to fit ford motors, I did not know about the ohms, I'll half to do some more research to find one that will fit. I ended up buying new wiper motors like you put on your jeep in your book. 

Thanks much!

Monty...Those wipers worked okay...Not the same as OEM Bosch but they have proven reliable—at least here in the high desert!  You might want to seal any areas where moisture could creep into the motors.

Keep us posted on the oil sender that works...There should be an OEM replacement sender available.  Try Crown or Omix-ADA.  If needed, we can look up the OEM part number for the sender and cross it over to a common brand like Echlin.  Let me know whether you need the OE part number for the sender.  Year of the chassis is '66, and the Buick/Jeep Dauntless V-6 engine looks original.

Moses

Moses, thanks for the tip on the wiper motors. As for the sending unit I cheated, I thought why not a fitting with a 45 degree angle. So thats what I did. 

I was going to load a pic but was unable to

The fitting should work fine, Monty.  Angle fittings are common on many engines.  Often the sender needs to set on an angle.  If the right size and pointed in the right direction, it should work well.

Moses

Hello I've been looking at wheels/tires and I need to verify my thoughts with you. Judging for the pics and the measurements shown the stud pattern would be a 5 by 5, correct? As you can see the holes are worn, enlarged.

I do not have a tire shop the will test a wheel for proper fit available in my area. So I'll be taking a lot of measurement's to determine the size needed. Most likely 15/16 in by 7 with 5 by 5 bolt pattern. Leaning to the 7 in width due to clearance. 

20180624_171111.jpg

20180624_171420.jpg

Hi, Monty...These are traditional, stock CJ wheels:  5-on-5.5" bolt pattern.  The measurement is taken as the bolt circle, not the space between two bolt hole centers.

This size has been popular for vintage Jeep, light Dodge truck, Ford truck and I-H models.  Two critical concerns with your wheel choice will be 1) steering and spring or body clearance and 2) the wheel offset or "backspacing".  The right backspacing will provide clearance for the brake drums and also the correct steering angles...

Moses