1992 Dakota 5.2L 4x4 Automatic Transmission Interchange

• Administrators

Rooster1978...The only two Dakota 4x4 V-8 years that have direct interchange would be 1992-93.  Your transmission should be a 46RH unit.  Verify the I.D. tag reference to type. 

Other years of this fairly common 46RH design would likely "fit" but may have different wiring and electrical/electronic features.  The Ram 1500 V-8 and Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8 also use this type transmission, but some claim the converter housing and other pieces are wrong for a Dakota application.

If your transmission is "rebuildable", I would stick with it and do the rebuild.  Or have a reputable shop do the rebuild.  This is a common transmission design with ready parts availability.  If you have the skill and tools, a used Mopar factory workshop manual (try eBay or a used automotive bookstore online) could walk you through the rebuild.

According to Mopar, there is only one application (a 1992-93 AN/Dakota 4x4 not a 2WD application) for your replacement transmission, though it would be worth consulting with a recycling yard that has an interchange book.  There may be some simple steps that enable installing a later Dakota 46RH into your chassis.  The interchange book can clarify what parts are involved in that retrofit into an early '90s Dakota 4x4 V-8 model.  I would not rely upon any information other than a respected interchange book like Hollander or Mitchell.

Moses

• 2 months later...

Moses, i know this post is a bit old, but a bit of clarification here. Even though the factory manual only shows the 46RH, the 1992 to 1995 Dakota actually used 3 different transmissions, depending on certain factors. The 42 as well as the 44 from 1992 to 1995 will work, if they have the round, white, 3 wire plug, but ONLY from another Dakota, as other parts, such as torque converter, and rear output housing are set up different than on the bigger trucks, and the mounts arent interchangeable from the fullsize to the Dakota. Some of the v-8 trucks, most notably the base model 4x4 used the exact same transmission in the 5.2 as they did in the 3.9. If it came with the factory "tow package", a term i use very lightly, then they used a heavier duty 46RH.

Engine combinations, swaps, and tips, could fill an entire page, or maybe even more. For example, i recently learned that the 1992 to 2002 3.9 and 5.2 long block, without the intake and exhaust manifolds, are exactly the same, but, there are also a bunch of sensors and little stuff that need to be changed, whether you are using the 1997 to 2002 long block in a 1992 to 1996, or using the long block in a 1997 to 2002. There are also a host of tips and tricks on swapping the Hemi into the 1992 to 1999 trucks, and it just goes on and on.