Grand Jeep Cherokee PDM not working

Hi,

We  have a Grand Jeep Cherokee Limited 2001 UK Car right hand drive. My passenger door window/lock stopped working. I brought a replacement part genuine and now the windows go up and down but the central locking won't work with the new part in  - if I put the old one on the windows don't work but the central locking does.  All the part numbers match checked all the wiring nothing wrong with them - anyone have any ideas what else to look for???  

• Administrators

Stella...The best place to begin is a comparison between the original part number and the module/switch you have installed.  Below is a PDF of the Mopar parts catalog pages covering your 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee PDM.pdf

You can zoom into the illustrations and listings, the model codes and other details.  See what application your new switch fits.  It may be the wrong PDM.

Let us know your findings...

Moses

Hi Moses

Many thanks for putting my post onto the right forum.  The number on the faulty pdm on my car is

5HB65DX9AC     

30505L

P3AB

the only information that is different on the new one is the tester number ?

The number on the one I replaced it with is the same  but the keyless entry does not work I have lock all the doors with the door lock and lock my door with the key.

One other thing the old one one of the relays as burnt out as you can small that burnt plastic smell !!

Would it need to be programmed in ??? or something like that.

Thanks,

Stella 

• Administrators

Stella, congrats, you've identified the problem:  The keyless entry system does need programming when you install a new PDM.  This requires a DRB-III scan tool, a dealership troubleshooting and repair device available to Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram truck dealerships.  

Note: There were some aftermarket sales of this tool to independent shops that could afford the device and perform enough repair jobs to amortize the cost; in recent years, the price of a DRB-III scan tool went to $6,000 U.S. from Miller/SPX.  SPX turned to renting out these DRB-III tools with a $6K deposit.  I doubt these rentals have been available to U.K. shops.

You've already offset the labor cost by installing the PDM yourselves.  If the dealership is willing to break down the hourly labor rate, it should take minutes for a proficient tech to re-program your new PDM and keyless door entry system.

I'm doubtful that aftermarket, non-proprietary scanners can perform this task, as it is a security measure performed through the OBD-II port and vehicle's PCM.

Please let us know how this turns out...

Moses