06 Dakota 3.7 Auto 4x4 not engaging - light indicates it's in 4x4

I've got a 2006 Dodge Dakota with the turn-knob electronic 4x4 engagement.  Tonight, coming home up my Steep-and-slick-in-the-rain driveway, I started to slide.  Thankfully I stopped and was able to back down and put it into 4Lo, but I still slid the rear tires and the fronts didn't turn.

4x4 indicator lights on the dash were lit up, I could hear the click and clunk of the transfer case electric motor shifting, but I never got my 4x4 working and had to tow my the truck up with my Jeep Liberty.

Any thoughts on what to check first?  I've had a clunk in the front that I, at one point, thought was in the front diff, but I can't reproduce it readily to confirm that suspicion.

Could the Diff have gone out and what should my first steps be for diagnosis?

I've read that on a Ram, I could put it in 2wd with the front on jack stands and spin the front driveshaft to see whether I get a wheel to turn,  Is the Dakota system the same as the Ram?  The directions I read suggested that if a single wheel spun, it meant the Diff was good and the transfer case was suspect, if nothing spun, it meant that the Diff was bad and the transfer case probably good.

Anything else?  I'll check the wires in the morning, but given that this happened at 11:38pm, I'm going to bed!

Thanks!

Jon

• Administrators

Hi, Jon...Welcome to the forums!  Glad you found the problem readily.  The bolts must be proper grade and flange type, OEM equivalent.  I get these directly from a Mopar/Ram dealer under the designated part number.

If the dealer cannot locate the part number, let me know.  I will provide it and an illustration of the fasteners required.

Moses