Speedometer and Tach for 1993 Jeep ZJ with an AX15 Conversion

• Administrators

Hi, Mario...The aftermarket HEI distributor in your engine should have a tach lead.  This tach signal is designed for G.M. gauges or aftermarket tachometers.  I'm not sure whether this signal will work with your stock ZJ Grand Cherokee's tachometer.  You need to research the voltage required at the ZJ tachometer and compare this with the output voltage signal from the HEI aftermarket distributor.  It may be easier to install an aftermarket tachometer that will work with the HEI distributor.

The speedometer on a ZJ is driven from the transfer case.  If you use the stock ZJ transfer case, the existing speedometer drive and sensor are at the transfer case. The drive and sensor will continue to work just as they do with the 42RE transmission.  

If you use the transfer case from the XJ Cherokee AX15 donor vehicle, it is most likely an NP231 that also has a speedometer drive unit.  Early model speedometer drives are for cable driven speedometers, the later Jeep speedometers are electronic.  The donor NP231 transfer case should have a drive gear and sensor at the transfer case.  No cable involved, just wires.  If you use the NP231 drive and sensor, make sure the sensor uses the same wire count as your ZJ. To simplify this, try to use the ZJ sensor and drive unit from the ZJ transfer case if it will fit properly.  This will match with the wiring and your ZJ speedometer.

Moses

• 3 months later...

hi! Moses ,

How are you?  everything is done with your advice  in my jeep. its running ok with the AX15 i just need some  connection for the brade and back up light, and no problem with that. Iam very thankful for all your help with me in the swap.Thank you very very much.Hoping your New year will be prosperous.again Thanks ill just keep in touch.

My best,

Mario Bedayo

Philippines.