• Administrators

jeepstroker...If the Haltech 750 requires a common crankshaft position sensor and you're using your 1996 Jeep XJ 4.0L bellhousing or converter housing, there is the factory CPS (crankshaft position sensor) that works with the factory type flywheel.  If you do not have that kind of bellhousing or converter housing, one approach would be a bolt-on pickup that comes with the Mopar EFI conversion kit for 4.2L Jeep engines.  This requires a new crankshaft damper/pulley that is also part of the kit.

HESCO markets the Mopar EFI Conversion Kit and also packages and sells individual parts.  Here is the catalog listing for EFI conversion parts that include the damper/pulley and crankshaft pickup kit:  http://www.hesco.us/products/7902/40l-conversion-parts.  The 4.2L damper and pickup "kit" is available for either V-belt or serpentine belt design.  This damper/pulley and bolt-on sensor are priced at $329.

You need to determine whether the 4.0L OEM sensor or this aftermarket HESCO crank sensor will provide the right signal for an aftermarket Haltech 750 ECU.  Read the instructions to determine whether a Jeep 4.0L crankshaft signal is right.  Contact Haltech if you need to confirm.

As for a camshaft position sensor, this is part of the original 4.0L MPI/EFI ignition distributor.  If you remove the distributor and change to coil packs, the original camshaft position sensor is lost.  A solution is the late (2000-up) Jeep 4.0L camshaft position sensor and oil pump drive assembly.  This replaces the pre-2000 ignition distributor and provides both the drive mechanism for the oil pump and a camshaft position sensor. 

Moses

i have that cps bellhousing on  flywheel .... i will use  coil packs ( ls1 ) ... so we must use Damper/Crank Sensor for crank signal and about cam signal we must use distributor  2000 ... correct ? i have some friend try to put distributor 2000 but not work :(

• Administrators

jeepstroker...You may be able to use the factory CPS if you are still using a factory flywheel (AX15 manual transmission) or flexplate (AW4 automatic).  My concern was whether the Haltech 750 ECU will operate with the signal from the factory CPS.  If available, the factory CPS would be the simplest solution for a signal.

Any CPS will have a signal pulse.  You need to confirm from Haltech if the factory signal from the factory CPS and flywheel/flexplate is acceptable.  (Maybe the instructions with the Haltech 750 will offer this information.)  The signal from a factory CPS or a HESCO CPS kit will be exactly the same.  Of course it would be far less expensive to use the existing factory CPS if available.  Confirm that this signal pulse will work with the Haltech 750 ECU.

Moses

• Administrators

jeepstroker...If you're using coil packs at each spark plug instead of a distributor cap and rotor to distribute spark, the distributor is just an output signal for camshaft position sensing as I shared earlier.

The signal at the factory CPS on the AX15 bellhousing is #1 piston TDC for each revolution of the crankshaft.  If your engine is out of the chassis and you have convenient access to the flywheel, send Haltech a photo of the flywheel.  Otherwise, all that is important is that the CPS gets one signal pulse for each revolution of the flywheel and crankshaft.  

What does Haltech want for a TDC/crankshaft position signal?  How is this described in the instructions for the Haltech 750 ECU?  Please share that part of the 750's instructions.

Moses

• Administrators

jeepstroker...Attached below are the CPS and flywheel details for 1994 4.0L XJ and the 1998 4.0L XJ.  I included both because your 1996 is a "cusp" model between the 60-way PCM and OBD-II (1996-up):

1994 XJ 4.0L CPS.pdf  [OBD-I 60-way PCM]

1998 XJ 4.0L CPS.pdf  [OBD-II system]

Note the details in the 1998 manual explanation on how the CPS works.  It describes the number of flywheel notches and the pulses for both the 2.5L four engines and the inline six 4.0L engine (yours).  You can share these details with the folks at Haltech.  This should answer their question.

If you pursue this on your own from the PDF directions for Elite 750, you can easily determine the available voltage at the CPS plug.  Use an accurate digital voltmeter at the CPS plug connector.  Try in the key-on/key-off modes.

Moses