HI Moses ,

How are you? just want to ask you regarding the throttle position sensor of my jeep zj 4.0 as i converted  my jeep to carb. im using the holly 390cfm  4 barrel it run well, but sometimes  the trans will not  kickdown to 1ST gear  sometimes it does . question... is  is The TPS  which is disconeected  affects the kickdown? as im planning to install a tps made by holley.  Also, if your bands are loose what's going to happen? Thanks for your time . have a nice weekend.

In  My Jeep zj 1994 4.0L engine AWD trans, do i need to re gear if i will use a 30- 31 tires and what gear and where to buy this gears. can i ask you regarding the TPS in the ZJ,does it affect  kickdown or its the TCM  that control this shifting?  sometimes   my experience  is kickdown  only up to 2nd gear and sometimes it goes to 1st gear, is it the adjustment of the kickdown cable ? is it  lose or is it to tight?  also  you advice me before regarding the  anti  return valve in the trans  i cannot  locate it, also where i can buy this valve how do i check if its ok?

, please advice me  With all my Thanks.

Cheers:,

Mario Bedayo 

Philippines

• Administrators

Hi, Mario...You have a 42RE/44RE type transmission, likely the 42RE.  What you need for proper kick down and shifting is a throttle valve cable.  The throttle valve cable must be properly adjusted.  Adjusted too loose, the transmission will slip and shift up too soon.  Too tight, the partial throttle down shifting will be sensitive and shifts will be delayed.

If you disconnected your throttle valve cable from the MPI system when you converted to a carburetor, this could be the problem.  The throttle valve cable must be restored and adjusted properly.  Disconnected would be the same as "loose".

Loose bands will create slip and poor shift timing.  Before adjusting the bands, restore the throttle valve cable function.  

Moses

• Administrators

As a footnote, to clarify:  On your original system, you had a cable that went from the throttle at the engine to the transmission…This throttle valve cable is not the same as a TPS.  You need to restore the throttle valve cable.

A Throttle Valve Cable is mechanical.  It is not electronic or an electrical signal like the TPS.  This throttle valve cable hooked up near the original TPS at the MPI throttle body.  TPS is a switch for the PCM to get a throttle position reading.  You need to make sure that when you open your Holley 390 throttle, a cable signal goes to the transmission. This is different than the TPS. 

The throttle valve cable tells the transmission how much throttle you are applying.  By way of the cable, the degree of throttle opening sets the pressure for upshifting and downshifting the transmission.  This includes kick down.

Moses