What is a Willys Frame worth?

OK, so I've been out looking at Willys frames. Well one is most of a frame, and the other is much more frame with drivetrain, incorrect motor a decent front clip and missing the rest of the body. Well I say missing because it is a Willys Station Wagon and the roof was cut off. The sides have started to drop off. One has dropped off and the other is hanging on by what patches and metal are left.

So, knowing that and that the vehicle is located in the North lands, in the rust capitol of the U.S., what would you think when the frame is whole. The mounts are all there. The only thing wrong is the surface rust, that can be handled. Otherwise there are no holes in the frame. The rest of the vehicle is a question mark. I don't know the year and the information plate was taken off, probably stolen by some picker.

I'll post one picture to give you an idea of the overall vehicle, but remember the frame is very good.

Willys_001.thumb.jpg.7d7bf60f6792d7f1d35

Now, I did check it over very closely. It has a Chrysler engine of some unknown year, with a matching radiator, but otherwise it has been thrown together and I don't know how well they matched up the transmission to the engine. I also noticed today on a more thorough exam that someone has messed with the front locking hubs. They may have made the front axle useless. I'm only really interested in the frame and the suspension if the running gear is a mess. so what's it worth?

• Administrators

Just my two-cents worth, BadDriver4x4:  This frame is worth something to a Willys Station Wagon or Pickup restorer.  Price?  Maybe $200 for a bare frame, powertrain and questionable front axle maybe an additional $200-$300?  That's tops and would be considered as resto pieces only.  

The frame and drive train with a closed knuckle/drum brake axle would be a retroactive build.  Most would want to move forward and possibly find a later model 4x4 pickup or SUV chassis and powertrain to place beneath a vintage Jeep body.

There's nothing intrinsically "great" about a vintage Jeep frame.  Fellow member 53HiHood calls attention to frame restoration just to keep a vintage Jeep on the road and trail...Unless you have a distinct restoration project in mind, which involves, ideally, a rust-free body with perhaps a damaged frame, this frame with a closed knuckle front axle and odd-ball Chrysler (maybe a Kaiser/Jeep 226 Hurricane L-six, check the cylinder head) engine would not make this an optimal find.  The Station Wagon/Pickup frame is not a ringer for the vintage Jeep CJ body, either.  The transfer case might be useful, it should be a Spicer Model 18, which was common to the Willys Station Wagon, Pickup and CJs.

Front clip, hood, bits and pieces could be worthwhile to a Willys Wagon/Pickup restorer...Others please add your two-cents worth...

Moses

Edited by Moses Ludel