Thanks for Including Toyota 4x4s at These Forums!

• Administrators

Great to see your participation, I've had a strong pull toward Toyota 4x4s since crawling the Rubicon Trail alongside an FJ40 in 1967.  The Toyota 4WD trucks and SUVs are tops, maintaining their popularity and high standards to this day...We'll have fun discussing Toyota 4x4s of every kind!

Moses

• Administrators

Thanks, GEO YODA, I do want to see that '83 up close!...Post a topic with some pictures or links to Photo Bucket, or wherever you store your photos, you can even put a few right here on the forums—use the "Attach Files" at the Reply Options!

We'll do one of the Tierra Del Sol annual runs—or how about your bringing the Toy 4x4 to the Sierra Range or Nevada?  The Rubicon Trail is a colossal rock pile these days.  (There are bypasses in many of the worst areas.)  You'll find Toy 4x4 pickups and FJ40s, Toy-based "buggies" and 4Runners...We'll connect soon, some place!

Meanwhile, these forums are a great way to keep the "community" alive and informed.  Looking forward to lively discussions, check out the travel forums for ideas on more you can share...You know San Diego County and the Anza Borrego, others would be very interested in your kind of 'wheeling, too!  As a member, you can post topics at any category...

Moses

• 4 months later...

My play toy is a Jeep CJ and daily driver is a Chevy 2500HD with many upgrades.  It has the 8.1L V-8  and Alison combo.  Plan is to sell it and get a newer Tacoma. Am just now learning some of the ins and outs for the Tacoma truck.  But at $30k... yikes.  Need to find an old lady that only drove her Tacoma to church...I get some 4x4 magazines from Australia, and Toyotas seem all the rage, as are nissans and landys...  

Will watch this forum for more info. 

mb

• Administrators

Thanks for opening up the Toyota truck "thing".  One insight I might share from my days of building FJ40s for magazine and book projects: Toyota replacement and upgrade parts can get quite expensive.  At Australia, that cost differential may not be as glaring, but if your experience has been with Jeep, domestic pickups and SUVs, you're in for a big surprise on the cost of building a Tacoma, Tundra, Titan, Xterra or 4Runner.

That said, the Toyota and Nissan brands have a loyal, justified following that stems from their incredible durability and initial quality control. The domestics have caught up, however, and a later Ram, Chevy or GMC truck would be worth a look.  Yes, there's Ford, too.  (My personal experience with used Ford trucks has not been as rewarding as the GMC/Chevy or Dodge/Ram models.  Ford trucks seem to reach the end of their components' "duty cycle", from bumper to bumper, way before Chevy/GMC or even Dodge/Ram trucks.)  Since you're talking "pre-owned", replacement parts costs and accessories are a prime concern.  Here, the domestic trucks and SUVs have it over Toyota and Nissan.

As a footnote, Toyota and Nissan truck "serviceability" falls short.  Repairs and major work can be a chore, especially on later models.  The simplicity of an FJ40 is long gone.

Just my opinion...Our youngest son really wanted a Tacoma pickup and wound up with a spanking new Ram 1500 4WD Crew Cab—for thousands less than a late model used Tacoma with mileage!  Really?  Is a Tacoma that worthwhile?  The 5.7L Hemi is a great engine and certainly as efficient as the Tundra V-8.  The late Chrysler automatic transmissions are quite impressive, too.

Moses