biggman100

Chevy vs Dodge 1500

I am looking for some real world advice for someone who is looking to purchase either a Dodge Ram, 2003 to 2009, or Chevy 1500. He is looking for a crew cab, 4x4, automatic, gas. The reason i am asking here is because i honestly don't have much experience with either truck. My experience is limited to older Dakota's, Bronco II's, S-10's, mainly the smaller trucks, at least, from an ownership perspective. The last full size truck i owned was a 1972 Dodge D150. Anyway, what i am looking for, is advice on maintenance costs, any oddball repair issues that may crop up, real world mileage, basically anything that will help him decide which is the better choice. I know, ultimately, it is still his decision, but, i figure this may give him some good tips and pointers. I know i could go online and read reviews, but, i don't always trust those, i prefer to hear from people who actually own and use their vehicles.

biggman100...For a crew cab 4x4, I lean toward a Dodge Ram 2500, not the 1500.  Weight and load capacity aside, the Ram 2500 has a beam axle, unlike either the 1500 Dodge/Ram or a GM 1500.  I'm partial to the non-IFS chassis and axle arrangement.  

Other than that issue, the crew cab in a full size truck suggests a 3/4-ton (2500) rated chassis if carrying capacity is a concern.  Many get by with the 1500 Quad Cab, our youngest son has a 2013 Ram 1500 4WD Crew Cab (bona fide big rear doors with a very short bed) that he likes.  It has the 5.7L Hemi gasoline engine...I'm a Cummins diesel guy, but the diesel models come with a bigger price tag whether new or used.

As for GM, they build a durable and attractive truck.  Here it comes down to brand preference.  I was strictly GM until the IFS 4WD era then switched to Dodge and Ram.

My two cents worth...

Moses