1997 Jeep Wrangler pops out of 1st gear

Hi all,

hope someone can help with this question. My apologies if it's been answered. I did try to find a topic for this but was unable to. My 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 has been popping out of 1st gear consistently lately. I'm wondering what the issue is, I removed the inner boot as some have said it might be the inner boot (mine's stock - no lift - but I wanted to check this out anyway). No luck. Also, is the fix something a weekend mechanic can do(I'm fairly competent in this respect but never have worked on fixing a transmission although I've replaced the clutch a couple of years ago). I've been thinking about rebuilding the transmission so that's how I came about this forum. Thanks in advance. Here is a link to the exact same issue I have posted on youtube (

)

J

• Administrators

mJeep01...Welcome to the forums!

Well, the issue sounds transmission related.  The only other possibilities would be a bad crankshaft pilot bearing or loose transmission-to-engine housing hardware.  The latter could be from the clutch installation time.  Try re-tightening the bellhousing bolts, its a long shot.

If you need to rebuild the AX15, viewers value the HD video step-by-step that I make available at Vimeo On Demand.  It is over 200 clear steps for the rebuild, and the rental is for 30-days.  Cheap, too, especially considering the complexity of an AX15 rebuild.  You can watch the trailer and get an idea about the content at:  http://www.vimeo.com/ondemand/ax15rebuild.  If you're considering a new transmission, Advance Adapters is a direct dealer for AX15 units, brand new from Aisin. 

How many miles do you have on the Jeep?  This might be a clue as to wear on the AX15.

Moses

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. The clutch was installed about 2 years ago but I did recheck the bolts and they appeared tight. My Jeep has around 215k miles on it. Would I need to do a full rebuild? I was hoping it was either a gear fork or possibly one of springs or balls that broke or got worn off. If I have the transmission already off I was thinking maybe it's a good idea to do a full rebuild myself. I looked at the trailer and I think I will rent the video just to be on the safe side. Can you recommend a good rebuild kit? Would the rebuild kit solve my issue or you think I would need other parts?

Also, is it necessary to have a hydraulic press to remove the bearings or is there some other method? Thanks again for answering.

J

• Administrators

mjeep01...Glad the hardware is secure, that's confidence inspiring!  215K miles is a reasonable life for an AX15.  As for the simpler control tower fixes, they usually have to do with lever movement and engagement.  Jumping out of a fully engaged gear is typically synchronizer trouble.  I would plan on a full rebuild since there is no simple access to the shift forks anyway.  I heartily recommend that you read through our forum discussions on the AX15 and replacement parts. 

There is a discrepancy about aftermarket suppliers and the synchronizer rings for various years.  Your TJ fits right into the disputed era.  Please read this discussion before ordering parts.  I've used the popular suppliers for parts that fit perfectly on the earlier YJ era transmissions.  The synchronizer change-up is during the TJ Wrangler era:

http://forums.4wdmechanix.com/topic/58-ax15-early-and-late-model-3rd4th-gear-synchronizer-differences/?hl=%2Bax15+%2Btransmission

Aftermarket suppliers apparently patterned their AX15 rebuild kits after the earlier synchro ring applications of the AX15.  When you buy parts, just make sure your synchro blocking (brass) rings and the engaging gear and synchro hub dog teeth are compatible.  Lay parts out in order during disassembly.  Don't mix them.  Compare new parts to the originals.  It sounds like your transmission is original.

You will need pullers and at least a HF bottle jack hydraulic press for this job.  AX15 bearings and even gears require press fitting.

Moses