Gauges and Check Lights Faulting on a 1994 Grand Cherokee

Hi! Moses...Mario from the philippines, I'm the one who converted the 1994 Jeep grand cherokee 4.0 EFI to carburetor (weber 32/36) the car runs ok, only i have this problem that i dont have rpm indication in my dash, also i have ABS warning light that illuminate always.

When i start the car all indication in the dash is off no check engine and no abs illumination, but i dont have a voltmeter indication, after about 3 minutes or sometime 6, i have check engine light and RPM start to indicate and also ABS start to illuminate as long the car is running , it runs ok but i dont have rpm and ABS light illuminate.  I fit my car an external voltage regulator ERCK which is for dodge and chrysler and jeep. I have always had a voltmeter reading, and my battery is charging. Do you have any advice so that i have an RPM indication in my dash?

Regards, your friend from the Philippines,

Mario Bedayo

• Administrators

Welcome to the forums, Mario!  These kinds of issues are usually electrical connection problems.  For Jeep vehicles in the 1990s, there is a common trouble spot at the connector behind the instrument cluster.  This often causes gauges and warning lights not to function properly on the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler.  The Grand Cherokee uses as similar wiring and connector setup.  Here is how the problem is solved with the XJ Cherokee: http://www.4wdmechanix.com/How-to-XJ-Cherokee-Erratic-Gauges-Fix.html.

Read the article and see if this could be your problem, a good place to start.  Sometimes, just cleaning the plug contacts with electrical cleaner and re-installing the connector plug with dielectric grease is enough to cure the problem.  Otherwise, as I did, you can replace the connector and splice in a new one.  I would first try disconnecting, cleaning and reconnecting the plug at the instrument cluster.  If the problem goes away but comes back much later, you can consider a new connector plug.

Regards! 

Moses