• Administrators

The magazine's Honda XR650R motorcycle came to life this week!  After months of sublet machine work, parts delays and time management challenges, the HD video series on rebuilding the engine top end has now finished.

The camshaft choice, Hot Cams' Stage 1 type, and sublet machine work to L.A. Sleeve Company was followed by my "blueprint" assembly job and precision tune-up to match the engine changes.  Learn more about the uncorking and Honda "Power Up Kit" guidelines, plus the ways to compensate for our 4,400-foot base altitude.

How did this turn out?...Well, judge for yourselves fellow members!  This is one incredible machine that lives up to its iconic reputation and legendary performance reputation.  Enjoy the test ride, I sure did!  Click here for access to the HD video.

If you need detailed instructional on performing this work, I produced a nearly 50-minute 1080P HD video that has just been released at Vimeo On Demand. The very detailed how-to, step-by-step 1080P HD instructional video can be viewed from mobile platforms to big, wide-screen televisions!  The Vimeo On Demand page for Honda XR650R coverage is www.vimeo.com/ondemand/hondaxr650r.

At the page, you will also find an additional Vimeo On Demand how-to on valve adjustment for four-stroke motorcycle engines with conventional rocker arm adjusters. The prototype is the Honda XR650R engine. These steps are included as a "bonus" in the Honda XR650R upper engine rebuild streaming video.

The 4WD Mechanix 'Tech and Travel' Series Vimeo On Demand rentals are for a full 30 day period each—rent the extensive Honda XR650R rebuild video for only $9.99 or the valve adjustment standalone video for just $5.99!  Everyone runs into parts and machining sublet delays on a project...I thought it best to provide a lengthy and realistic viewing window.  Case in point:  The Honda XR650R was a true test of "delayed gratification".  Purchased at the end of September 2013, it took until May 1st to ride the BRP for the first time!

Trust you'll find the content at Vimeo On Demand valuable.  I look forward to expanding the Vimeo On Demand playlist for 4WD Mechanix 'Tech and Travel' Series pages!

Moses

I have an OEM replacement piston and rings on order for my KLR engine build.  Enjoyed your "test ride" with the Honda XR650R, anxious to get my KLR running now!

I'm curious about your engine break in procedure.  Could you comment?

• Administrators

Well, we've each become expert at "delayed gratification".  I purchased the Honda XR650R on September 30, 2013 and finally registered it for road use (including the road test) at the end of April 2014!  Lots of delays, including the sublet machine work, addition tuning, restoration of the dual-sport conversion package, the usual "parts on order" through my preferred local dealership (Big Valley Honda at Reno, Nevada), then the entire filming process...

Break-in is critical to engine longevity and a reliable outcome from any engine rebuild.  In response to your question, I've begun a new topic to clarify my break-in approach...Trust you'll be on the road soon with the KLR, Forman!

Moses