Moses, if I remember correctly, you are a former suspension/alignment tech.  I would like your opinion on a leveling kit for an '07 Silverado.  The front end sits slightly lower than the rear on these trucks (stock).  I really like the way they look when perfectly level.  This RC kit is very affordable, and would accomplish what I want: http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-leveling-lift-kit-1307-8.html  Do you think this would cause problems with the geometry/handling?  Thanks.

• Administrators

Yes, Belvedere...I have worked professionally at four-wheel alignment and taught these skills as well.  The concern here is caster angle.  As you raise the front end, the caster changes.  Toe-set may change slightly, depending upon the lift method.  Any change created by the Rough Country method of lifting your '07 Chevy Silverado truck would likely be minimal and easily corrected with a basic wheel alignment.

I watched the Rough Country video (at your link), and this is a relatively simple way to lift the front end for "leveling" the truck.  From what I could see of the lower control arm bump stop, you would not lose wheel travel, in fact, it looks like you would gain some travel, the thickness of the spacer provided. 

If there are any "downside" concerns, the steering tie-rod and CV joint angles are always a concern with IFS lifts.  If the tie-rods slope down more at static vehicle height, there is a risk of "bump steer" or bump toe changes as the suspension rises and sets.  If the half-shafts and CVs are on a greater slope, torque load and wear could be increased.  The lift method that Rough Country uses should not impact either of these factors, as the design simple "drops" the lower control arm with a spacer to "lift" the chassis/frame height.  Simple, this eliminates the risk of altered steering linkage angles or half-shaft angles..

If you do install this kit, take the usual precautions to be sure that no parts interfere or chafe after installation.  This install in not much different than replacing ball joints or removing a half-shaft.  If the spacers are a hard steel material or iron casting (please confirm for us) and the hardware is to grade and safe, you should have a relatively "stock" setup when done, with minimal changes to the front end geometry and the truck's engineering.

Moses