'07 Chevy Silverado 4WD System Questions

I just inherited an '07 Silverado 1500 LT, crew cab, 4x4. It has the electronic 4wd switch with the Auto setting. I would appreciate any tips from people who are familiar with these trucks: weak points, things to watch, etc. I plan to change all fluids soon, but beyond that, this Mopar guy is like a fish out of water with this thing. wink.gif

• Administrators

Exciting to have a "new" truck to consider, Belvedere! 

Suggestion:  See if you can locate the factory owner's handbook or, better yet, the workshop manual.  Used automotive book sources and eBay can often prove useful sources for this kind of literature.  Though spendy, the OE manual is always my first consideration when a vehicle will be in our "fleet" for any length of time—and I bet you see it this way, too!

RareCJ8 has his early-'2000s Silverado with monstrous 8.0L V-8 engine and Allison transmission, I'm expecting his comments on your truck soon!

Moses

Yes, I certainly agree: I have the FSM for most of my vehicles.  I didn't see one for this truck after a quick look on ebay, so I was going to grab a Haynes from NAPA as a starter.

Any comments on the 4x4 system in this truck would be appreciated.  I believe it is called Autotrack.

• Administrators

Just a suggestion on the manual, Belvedere.  There are several used auto literature sources that would likely have an OE shop manual for your Silverado.  Try these:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/

http://www.rothautobooks.com/

There are others, too, this is a start.  Faxon sells through Amazon as well, and Amazon might be another source.  I'd like to see you get a genuine GM book, as you're detail oriented like me, Belvedere.  You'll be much happier with a "first generation" view of the technology, and there should be a great descriptive about "AutoTrack" in the factory manual—from operation to rebuilding it!

I poked around on other forums and found this interesting thread at the full-size GM truck forum.  This may answer your question about the function of AutoTrack:  http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24027.  Scroll down the responses for details on the function and design elements.

Moses

Thanks for the reply, Moses.  Yes, I do like details: I believe that theory and hands-on experience are equally important.  How can a person diagnose something if he doesn't understand how it works?  I will try to locate a FSM.