• Administrators

My first exposure to the Toyota Land Cruiser came about when I innocently accepted an invitation to run the Rubicon Trail (back route, Lake Tahoe to Ice House) in the summer of 1967. 18 years old, I borrowed my folks 3-year-old CJ-5 and joined the Diablo Four-Wheelers from Concord/Pleasanton...On that trip, our group included a stalwart Toyota "Land Cruiser" FJ40. Duly impressed with its unique ability and ruggedness, I considered purchasing a new FJ40 in 1970, a bargain at that time!

As an automotive journalist and tech editor, I built two FJ40 Land Cruiser projects for OFF-ROAD Magazine, one in the late 'eighties, the other in the mid-'90s. The latter appeared at the SEMA Show, both were featured in my Toyota Truck & Land Cruiser Owner's Bible (Bentley Publishers).

If you were at a Toyota dealership when the Sequoia went to market, a sales floor point-of-sale DVD brought my impressions home about later Toyota trucks. John Davis (PBS Motorweek) and I presented the new models, and I talked about the I-Force V-8 and other features. I believed in our support for Toyota then, and I'm confident that owners have been equally pleased and impressed with these products!

The FJ and DJ models shared in this forum remain popular and reflect Toyota's lasting legacy of rugged and durable four-wheel drive trucks. Owners and restorers have good reason to share information and experiences, technical details and lifestyle enhancements—provided by the FJ and DJ Land Cruiser and, more recently, the formidable FJ Cruiser and Sequoia!—Moses Ludel