Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

Whether you're headed to Sand Mountain or Desert Creek, Wilson Canyon or Mason Valley, the Black Rock Desert or High Rock Canyon, keep in mind that the moratorium is up on Nevada's introduction of an OHV permit program.  Effective July 1, 2012, Nevada became one more Western state to require an OHV permit for all non-highway vehicles that ply the back country or public lands. 


July 1, 2013 ended the moratorium, and the law is now under enforcement.  Before you find yourself with a nice hole in your wallet (paid to the State of Nevada OHV Commission and not courtesy of the gaming industry), please be aware of the Silver State's OHV registration and permit program. 


Tom Willis and I discuss this in Tom's OHV columns at the magazine.  For more details, click this link: http://nvohv.com/.  Learn about Nevada's mandatory OHV registration process here...For non-residents and those with "stickers" from out-of-state, become familiar with the Nevada OHV Commission's regulations.



Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...



Just an update on Nevada OHV registration.  Most of the glitches have been worked out of the registration and renewal process.


The annual fee is $20 per ATV/UTV/OHV.  Renewal can be accomplished on line through the http://nvohv.com/registration/ link.  New registrations are handled through authorized dealers.


There seems to be a common misunderstanding that owners have a "grace" period after their current registration expires.  This is NOT true, in fact there is a $25 late fee, so pay close attention to the expiration date.


The size of the sticker has been reduced by at least 50%, making it much easier to find a place to attach it to your machine.


Lastly OHV registration does not include a "title" for your machine.  This is a separate process, with an additional cost.  It is not a requirement, but strongly recommended.  It puts your machine's VIN in the DMV database which may speed recovery if your machine is stolen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators

Thanks for the update and clarification, Nevada ATV!  As I've shared, the magazine's Honda XR650R motorcycle is a highway legal and registered dual-sport conversion with insurance and all.  This entitles use off-pavement as well, just like street legal 4x4s.  There is an annual renewal of the license plate sticker.  ATV and UTV vehicles with original "off-highway" labeling are not currently eligible for a "conversion" to on-highway use at Nevada.


Our 1984 Honda XR350R motorcycle is now Nevada OHV permitted and also titled with a Nevada OHV title.  (This is a different title than the on-highway motor vehicle title issued for the Honda XR650R.)  The process for getting an OHV permit was straightforward and simply involved paperwork available here:  http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/ohv001a.pdf [vehicle purchased prior to July 1, 2012].  There is also an OHV inspection and VIN verification form that must be submitted.  I had the local Honda dealership perform a VIN inspection that used this form available online:  http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/ohv002.pdf.


Note:  There are numerous Nevada forms related to OHVs.  Click here for the Nevada DMV/OHV official page that lists the Nevada OHV forms.  Once registered and stickered, there is an annual renewal fee that must be paid as Nevada ATV describes.  For good measure, I added a notarized statement of the motorcycle's history, including the recent years that the bike had been in storage.


I also elected to get a title issued on the Honda XR350R motorcycle.  This requires a bill of sale from the previous owner.  When we purchased the bike used in the mid-1990s, OHV titles were not issued at Nevada.  In recent years, Nevada titles on OHVs were issued for several years then not issued, so many owners did not receive a title from the previous owner.  To title the ATV or dirt motorcycle, a bill of sale is required, which most owners receive when they purchase the OHV.  Dealerships usually issue a Bill of Sale, required at Nevada for many years.  You should always get a bill of sale during a private party purchase, with the year, make, model and VIN on the statement.  Use the Nevada OHV Bill of Sale form currently available. 


For official details on Nevada OHV permit registration and titling, see this site/PDF:  http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/ohvregtitle.pdf.  For the official Nevada OHV Bill of Sale document, you can download and print the DMV/OHV form: http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/ohv006.pdfIf you are currently buying a used ATV or dirt motorcycle, make sure you and the seller fill out this form together, it will save a lot of time!  Fill out this form even if there is a title provided.


In the case of my 1984 Honda XR350R, there was a hand written bill of sale from the previous owner.  (At the time, that was enough, no titles were issued on OHV dirt bikes at Nevada.  The DMV might accept this kind of document for bikes purchased under such circumstances years past.)  To expedite the process and eliminate any issues, I located the previous owner, and we used the current Nevada OHV Bill of Sale form with notarized statements.  I also submitted the history statement, including dates and circumstances of the purchase.  The important paperwork is the Nevada OHV Bill of Sale form, filled out, signed and notarized (not required, I elected to do this).


Like you share, Nevada ATV, it's my belief that the extra $28 for the OHV title is well worth it.  Every motorized vehicle and trailer we own has a title.  For many years, Nevada did not issue titles on OHVs (ATVs or dirt motorcycles).  This titling process provides clear ownership and simplifies resale later.  Although the cost saving approach is an annual Nevada OHV permit only, currently $20 per year, the official DMV title of ownership is a one-time fee and worthwhile.  I submitted a check for $48 to receive both the first Nevada OHV Permit and an official Nevada OHV Title.


Important to add, the Nevada OHV permit, like the California Green Sticker, is recognized in other states.  Before traveling to other states with your ATV or dirt motorcycle, confirm whether there is a reciprocity agreement between Nevada and that state.  If recognized, you can use your Nevada OHV Permit in that state.  I can take the XR350R motorcycle with its Nevada OHV permit into California for off-pavement use.  I need to confirm whether the Nevada OHV Permit is honored by Utah for use at places like Moab.  This bike is my optimal four-stroke for single track trails, and I do plan to ride it in addition to the Honda XR650R desert enduro motorcycle! 


Nevada ATV, do you know which states are currently under an OHV permit reciprocity compact with Nevada?



Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...