I’m looking at a 79 traveler II to buy. It’s had minimal restoration with the original 345. I took pics if anyone would be willing to give some opinions on shape and condition for the price. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much!

• Administrators

Hi, LaurieW...Do post the photos.  I'm a big fan of I-H trucks and the Scout II/Traveler.  1979 is a good model year, one year before the end of production.  The only advantage in the 1980 models is use of the Dana 300 transfer case (one year only).  The Model 20 Spicer transfer case is fine in the '79, it just lacks the 300's lower gear ratio in low range.  Also, the 300 has helically cut gears, arguably quieter running and more durable, but the Model 20's straight-cut gears do work well.  This is certainly not a deal breaker or any reason to avoid the right 1976-1979 Traveler model.

The scourge and rabbit hole with the Scout II/Traveler models is rust.  When I consider any pre-owned vehicle, my three biggest concerns are 1) known history and documentation, 2) any indication of serious body/frame damage and 3) rust.  Scouts are notorious for rust, especially at the Midwest, Northeast or any other corrosive environment with salted roads.  Unfortunately, salted roads are now common in previously rust-free states like Nevada.

When you post pictures, I will be watching for "originality" and lack of modifications plus any signs of rust or damage.  History is very important if available.  Full documentation and a continuous paper trail, which includes the Line Ticket on an I-H truck, would be desirable.

Moses 

• Moses Ludel changed the title to Advice Needed on Buying a Scout Traveler II