2006 Wrangler Rubicon 4WD Indicator Light and Locker Switch Not Working

I just picked up an 06 Unlimited Rubicon. I tested the 4wd and lockers prior to buying it and everything appeared to work. Dash lights came on for 4wd and 4lo, locker switch would light up and f/r locker lights would come on. I have driven the Jeep maybe 10 miles since buying it and I went to engage the 4wd and lockers tonight and nothing, no dash lights, no switch light, no air pumps turning on. It does engage 4hi and 4lo. It was late and below freezing so I didn’t spend much time looking at it. I did find the front locker sensor wiring separated at the connector, I will work on fixing that tomorrow. I read that there is a mode switch on top of the t-case that could be the cause if it’s faulty and the pcm is not getting a signal that the t-case is in 4lo. I will try to access that tomorrow as well, but it may be difficult with the large skid plate/aftermarket control arm mount system. Any experience and feedback here would be appreciated as always.

• Administrators

53HiHood...Congrats on the '06 Unlimited Rubicon LJ!  Great wheelbase for directional stability.  Lift kits help with the over-center clearance.  You need wide wheels with negative offset to keep the center of gravity stable after lifting.

The mode switch can be an issue...You can test that readily with a voltohmmeter and shifting through the transfer case modes.  Internal transfer case issues can upset the mode switch, too.  Check the fuse and electrical circuit first.  The mode switch typically completes the ground, check the hot side for shorts.

Let is know what you find...

Moses

• Moses Ludel changed the title to 2006 Rubicon 4WD Dash Lights and Locker Switch Not Working

I unpinned the severed wires from the locker sensor connector and soldered and sealed them. The t-case mode switch is out of reach from underneath the Jeep due to the Nth degree tummy tucker. I was going to go in through the top and thought I’d check to see if the 4wd dash lights decided to start working again and to my surprise they worked, as did the locker switch. I shifted in and out of 4wd several times without issue. I tested the air pumps and lockers and everything works now as it should. I’m curious as to why the mode switch didn’t work yesterday but worked fine today. Yesterday I had the battery disconnected temporarily, today I fixed the locker sensor and checked the 4wd fuse, #24 I think, and that’s all I had done. 

• Administrators

53HiHood...I did some homework...The attached schematic is for your chassis wiring (Rubicon with factory lockers only) and helps explain the dash lamp system.  It's complex.  The dash lights are activated by the control module and interaction with the lockers.  You may have cleared the issue with the front axle/locker wiring fix.  You'll see the relationship in the wiring diagrams.

If the problem returns, a sticky 4x4 mode switch is possible, though I would look for either debris in the transfer case or possible parts misalignment from wear.  If you've heard unusual "noise" in the transfer case, drain the transfer case and sift through the lubricant for signs of chain or case (aluminum) wear.

The mode switch could be malfunctioning intermittently.  If the wiring and mode switch are accessible, jump or bypass the switch to complete the circuit and see if you get a distinct 4WD dash light with the key turned ON. 

If that doesn't do it, there are several other components involved with the dash light signals.  Review this PDF of the wiring circuits for your 4WD (transfer case) and factory air locker indicator lights:

TJ LJ Rubicon Transfer Case Switch.pdf

Moses 

• Moses Ludel changed the title to 2006 Wrangler Rubicon 4WD Indicator Light and Locker Switch Not Working