• Administrators

Renix Numbers...See the information (photos) below.  I included the bulkhead and ECU connections...Note that the bulkhead connector has numbers across the top and letters down the left side (instrument panel side view).  The ECU connector is simply numbered.  I have included the 1987-90 FSM XJ Cherokee wiring color codes for these as well.  I included photos and also PDFs that you can zoom into for details.  (Click on the photos to enlarge.  You can zoom out on the PDFs for a full view, then zoom into the image.)...I captioned each photo to clarify its origin and angle:

2.5L Jeep 1986 TBI Cherokee ECU Connector Pinning.jpg

I have the 1984-86 factory shop manual (AMC/Jeep FSM number M.R. 244 for 1084-86) but not the electrical volume if available separately (common)...Above, the shop manual shows the ECM pinout for the 1986 XJ Cherokee 2.5L TBI model.  (The color codes and wiring diagrams would be in a separate book.)  I took this a step further and copied out of the 1989 FSM Electrical book and share those images below...If you have cranking with a no start, below is the 1986 FSM flow chart for a "No Start" with the engine able to crank over:

2.5L Jeep 1986 TBI Cherokee Crank With No Start Flow Chart.jpg 

Above is the 1986 manual M.R. 244 flow chart for a weak spark or no spark condition when cranking.

If 1987-90 is the same color coded wiring, the images below will help.  They are from the 1989 FSM for the XJ Cherokee and cover the ECU connector, wiring color codes/gauge and the bulkhead pinouts.  Wire color coding is included for each pin on the ECU and the bulkhead connector:

2.5L Jeep 1987-90 TBI Cherokee Bulkhead and ECU Connetor Pinning (3).jpg

This is the 1989 bulkhead connector (the instrument panel side view), presumably the same for 1987-90 XJ and highly likely the same for your 1986 XJ, which looks similar...Confirm color coding.

2.5L Jeep 1987-90 TBI Cherokee Bulkhead and ECU Connetor Pinning (1).jpg

1987-90 FSM bulkhead pinout and wire codes (likely the same for 1986, confirm color coding).  Note the numbers across top and letters down the left side.  Be aware that this is the instrument panel side when confirming pinouts.

2.5L Jeep 1987-90 TBI Cherokee Bulkhead and ECU Connetor Pinning (2).jpg

1987-90 FSM pinout for the ECU 35-pin connector with all color codes for the wires and their pinout numbers.  Looks similar to 1986 35-pin connector.  Confirm wiring color codes and the approximate wire gauge.

I am adding PDFs of each photo below.  You may find the PDFs handy.  You can zoom out and into the images for details:

2.5L Jeep 1986 TBI Cherokee ECU Connector Pinning.pdf

2.5L Jeep 1986 TBI Cherokee Crank With No Start Flow Chart.pdf

2.5L Jeep 1987-90 TBI Cherokee Bulkhead and ECU Connector Pinning (1).pdf

2.5L Jeep 1987-90 TBI Cherokee Bulkhead and ECU Connector Pinning (2).pdf

2.5L Jeep 1987-90 TBI Cherokee Bulkhead and ECU Connector Pinning (3).pdf

Let us know whether the 1986 and 1989 (presumably 1987-90) XJ Cherokee wire color coding matches.  The ECU connectors (35-pin) and bulkhead connectors look similar, and this should work out.  Please confirm...

Moses

• Moses Ludel changed the title to Connector Pin Out for 2.5L Jeep TBI Renix ECM or ECU