Hi all I'm new here. I have a 2000 XJ and I am having some problems with the door locks. As soon as the battery is connected the doors lock. Also when the key is inserted into or removed from the ignition switch the doors lock. Lastly, when the headlights are on, when you push the plunger in to turn off the lights the doors immediately lock. The doors can only be unlocked manually. Not with the remote or the power switch in the jeep. The jeep has recently had an ignition switch and headlight switch installed but I can't seem to find the issue. It has a viper keyless entry and remote start system but I removed the viper module and the problem persisted. I have ordered a new master door lock control but I don't think it's the issue. Any suggestions? I'm an electrician by trade but I'm racking my brain on this one 

• Administrators

LS2 XJ...Barring a wiring short between wires in a harness, which I'm sure you have considered, this sounds like the driver's side door lock switch.  These door switches are notoriously troublesome.  At mileage, I have replaced both front door switches.  In each case, I sourced the new switches online at Amazon.  The offshore pieces were both affordable and have held up well.  The costly factory replacement parts would last no longer.

You could try narrowing down the issue by unplugging the connector at the driver's side switch.  See whether that in itself stops the locking issue.  It should.  You can jump connections to narrow this down further, but the likelihood of the switch being defective is clear.

Let us know if this is the fix.  Beyond that, there would be wiring harness concerns like parallel wires with burned insulation, shorting and creating the symptoms.

Moses

• Moses Ludel changed the title to 2000 XJ Cherokee Door Lock Problems

Thanks for the reply Moses. I did unplug the driver side switch and the problems still persists. Unplugging the passenger side obviously clears the problem as this is the master but that doesnt confirm a faulty switch. I ordered a replacement off Amazon just in case. Off hand do you know of a specific wiring point between head lights, ignition, and door locks where the fault could be? I assume the head lights are involved because turning on the running lights illuminates the buttons on the door lock switch if I recall correctly. I should probably look again through the harness connection at the headlight. I also have a speedo dropping out from time to time which could be related in the form of a short to ground, however my instrument cluster is modified to accept a speed signal from a gm computer so I'm not sure.

• Administrators

LS2 XJ...I have copied the Power Door Lock wiring section from a 1998 XJ Cherokee FSM on my shelf.  The 2020 manual should be similar, or this '98 diagram will at least provide insight.  (For details, zoom in.)  You know schematics well, and if this one doesn't do it, here's a factory workshop manual that should contain the wiring diagrams:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272533854284?fits=Year%3A2000|Model%3ACherokee|Make%3AJeep&hash=item3f7448984c:g:j0wAAOSw95dceLLd  [If sold out, the vendor is Bishko.  These are OEM manuals in PDF form as download or CD.  I like the quick navigation with bookmarking.]

I see the tailgate lock in the loop and suggest checking the wires from the tailgate into the body bulkhead.  On my '99, this is a vulnerable design with the wiring loom/harness flexing every time the tailgate opens and closes.  My other concern with your 2000 model is the aftermarket Viper Keyless Entry system.  Here's the link to the Viper site.  Note the listed functions of the system, there is overlap with the ignition and other circuits. 

Any wiring related to the Viper should be checked for integrity and proper installation.  The transmitter fob and receiver could be faulting.  Take the Viper system off line as part of your troubleshooting:

https://www.viper.com/car/keylessentry/product/412v/viper-1-way-keyless-entry-system

Moses

1998 XJ Cherokee Power Door Lock Wiring (1).jpg 

1998 XJ Cherokee Power Door Lock Wiring (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Moses, just wanted to follow up. The culprit was the passenger side door switch, which when replaced presented a new set of problems but the immediate door locking went away. Replacing the driver side switch fixed the new problems and only one remained. The keyless entry wasn't working. I could hear a relay in the viper module clicking when pressing a function but nothing happened. Turns out it was a secondary relay module tied into the viper system that was corroded, as were the driver and passenger switch. Corrosion cause all of the problems and the problems were just being passed from one device to the next when one was fixed. Thanks for the help!!

• Administrators

LS2 XJ...Very pleased that you resolved this switch issue.  The switches fail over time, so nothing lost in replacing each of them.  Always a good bet to try the switches.  The offshore knockoffs last as long as the OEM switches at a fraction of the cost.

Corrosion will do it! 

Moses

Please help.  I have a 99 xj and the dome light will not turn off.  When I hit the power locks the horn beeps. The keyless entry only locks the doors. Unlock does not work.  I removed the harness from the circuit board in the dome light and now the rear wiper goes on when I use the power door locks. Also the rear wiper the shifter and the defrost panel lights go on while hitting switch

• Administrators

Hi, Tom...I would begin by checking the wires at the rear door hatch.  The wiring into the tailgate (see the top of the hatch at the roof harness) is not well protected and flexes whenever you open the hatch.  See whether these wires have cracked insulation, are frayed, shorted or broken.  Poor design, on our '99 XJ I carefully coated the frayed insulation to prevent shorts. 

Starbrite liquid electrical coating works well.  So did this coating from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-fl-oz-liquid-electrical-tape-36821.html

Try this first.  We'll go from there...Could be related to the keyless entry.  Do you have an aftermarket alarm system?

Moses

No aftermarket alarm.  I pulled the wires at the hatch and they seem to be in good shape.  My brake lights were not working..  The fuse blew.  I replaced it and now the brake lights work but the rear wiper goes on and the blinkers shut off when I apply the brakes.  I purchased the passenger side door panel controls to give that a try.  Feel like its haunted at this point!

• Administrators

Tom...You have narrowed this down to a circuit.  Likely, within that disconnected door lock harness from the passenger door switch is either 1) a shorted wire segment or connector, or 2) two or more wires fused together.  A short to ground will burn a fuse, so this is more likely wires connecting to each other and completing an unwanted connection.

See the circuit diagram for the passenger door switch on the '98 XJ that I posted on February 20th at this topic.  (This is the closest I can come from my library.  Consider buying a CD reprint of your '99 FSM from Bishko or another reputable source at eBay.)  This will help narrow where to look for a short in the Power Door Lock circuit.  If you invest in the Bishko CD or download, or a similar CD/PDF of the factory shop manual, you will have the entire wiring diagram set, including the keyless entry wiring that overlaps with the Power Door Lock diagram.  Check the Power Door Lock harnesses and connections first.

A tool that would help here is an insulation resistance tester like the Fluke 1587 ($$$$).  This can send a high voltage/very low amperage, non-destructive test through a circuit to see whether two parallel wires are shorting within a harness or a wire is shorting to ground.  You can also check for a short(s) to ground with a quality (and less expensive) ohmmeter.  Isolate the culprit stretch of harness or connectors, and you can strip out the wires for closer inspection and repairs.

Be sure to check the wires from the doors into the door frames (at the A-pillars).  This is another area where flexing can damage the wiring and create a short.

Moses