I'm sure this has been spoken about in the past so my apologies. I’m looking to remove my F-134 from a 59 Cj5 and replace it with a late 60’s era Dauntless V6 odd fire 225. My question is there a detailed list or procedure to do this transplant? I wish to keep the T-90 with an overdrive. Any advise or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Todd

• Moses Ludel changed the title to Dauntless V6 Transplant into a 1959 Jeep CJ5 Universal
  • Administrators

VTkorat...Thanks for posting a valuable topic.  Your swap makes good sense and can follow factory parts guidelines for a 1966-71 V6 CJ if you have access to a donor vehicle.  I did a Buick V6 swap with the 1955 Jeep CJ-5 prototype in my book, the Jeep® CJ Rebuilder's Manual:  1946-71 (Bentley Publishers). 

With due respect to the L- and F-head 134 engines and their many historic accomplishments, a 3-main bearing inline four is simply not engineered for highway or higher speed use.  The rapid torque rise and reasonable output for its small displacement are commendable.  However, this engine was never intended for sustained on-highway "cruising". 

My parents' 1964 CJ-5 F-head 134 commuted on Nevada highways in the sixties.  With the high altitude option (a slight factory compression boost created via a thinner head gasket), the engine eventually ate holes in the piston crowns.  A friend at Southern California in the late sixties bought a new F-head CJ that spun a rod bearing and lost the spindly connecting rod.  He lamented not buying the V6 option.  The 225 Buick OHV pushrod V6 was capable of sustained loads at higher operating speeds.

The justification for your conversion is clear, especially with the overdrive that enables sensible speeds on the highway with adequate power.  Worth noting, my engine choice was a 231 V6 from a late seventies RWD Buick with rear sump oil pan.  The even-fire engine runs much smoother, performs well and has legendary reliability.  The 231 even fire engines use an HEI Delco distributor and have improved cylinder head flow plus other upgrades.  Of course it's your call here, you may have an affinity for the odd-fire, nailhead 225 engine or ready access to a Dauntless donor vehicle.

The swap is straightforward.  Motor mounts and transmission adapters are available from Advance Adapters, this has been a time honored A/A conversion.  I mention transmission adapters although the T-90, T-86 or T-14/15 transmissions can be fitted with factory pieces if available.  The 231 is similar to the 225 for swap components and bellhousings.  On vintage Jeep and other conversions, the transmission input shaft ("stick out") length and pilot bearing are always a consideration when selecting the right bellhousing and transmission adapter.  Study the Advance Adapters online details and the A/A catalog.

Though motor mounts to the frame can be a bolt-in, I have always welded mounts to the frame.  This example below is not your swap but rather the installation of a Jeep inline 4.0L six in place of a 2.5L four in a YJ Wrangler.  (AMC and Chrysler used different frames for four- and six-cylinder YJ and TJ Wrangler models.)  A/A mounts for the V6 swap are simpler and much easier to configure and weld to a CJ frame:

https://4wdmechanix.com/moses-ludels-4wd-mechanix-magazine-mig-welding/ 

I have always substituted a T-98 or T-18 four-speed with these swaps.  Jeep offered the T98A version in the CJs (predominantly four-cylinder models, though some claim a 4-speed option was available in Dauntless V6 CJs).  My folks' CJ (1964) had the factory T-98A option, and the compound low gear was very useful.  You can start out in 2nd gear, which is synchromesh.  The overall length of the T-98/T18 (similar) four-speed is very close to the fitment of the T-90 and other vintage CJ three-speeds.  The OEM drivelines can be kept, especially when installing the short V6.  A/A targets use of a common Ford 2WD pickup T18 with its conversion kit.  AMC/Jeep optioned the T18 in seventies CJs with AMC engines;  however, this close ratio gear split version does not have the same compound low gear reduction found in the Ford truck T18.

We'll leave other upgrades out of the picture, like Saginaw steering with a one-piece tie rod, since you are concentrating on just the engine upgrade.  You will need cooling and exhaust improvements, upgrading the radiator core flow and routing the exhaust properly.  The early 225 applications have a convoluted exhaust manifold arrangement that would go away if you use a 231 with its improved manifolds. 

Tubular headers are an option, though I caution:  a heat riser is needed for cold climate start-ups of a carbureted engine.  Stock cast manifolds allow use of a heat riser.  For overall safety and trail use, the exhaust system, whether single or dual, needs to exit past the rear bumper.  To avoid deadly carbon monoxide, I never use side dump exhausts and avoid trail riding or rock crawling in Jeep 4x4s with side dumps.

I am not clear what intake and carburetor you plan.  The 2G-series OEM 225 carburetor is reliable.  Even fire 231 engines change to the emission era 2E or 2ES type.  Many get a four-barrel manifold, but here, I would use the mildest carburetor choice for this smaller displacement engine.  Aftermarket EFI is a nice option but pricey.

If you have further questions, please share.  We can discuss this swap for the benefit of others considering the conversion.

Moses

Thanks Moses. A lot to digest and valuable information. I did order the book this week. I have a low mileage 225 by itself on a stand I plan to rebuild as needed. I’m not looking for highway speeds just enough to manage hill roads. I will be in touch with Advance Adapters. I’m sure they could help direct me in some of the items needed? Thanks again. 

• Administrators

VTkorat...You're welcome...Advance Adapters will be a solid resource and very familiar with your CJ.  I'm pleased that my information was helpful, I lived and breathed the Willys/Kaiser Era Jeep models from teen years to the 2000s, taking my first driving exam in that '64 CJ-5. 

These models are for family fun, building memories and establishing a healthy outdoor lifestyle.  You will be very happy with the 225 for your intended use.  The T18 can make a monumental difference off-pavement and even for many high range pulling chores.  Laying the gear set of a T-90 alongside a T98 or T18 is convincing. 

The other stellar transmission for these conversions is the classic SM420 Muncie truck four-speed.  The bellhousing pattern can help simplify any GM engine swap.  So you actually have two transmission options depending upon availability.  The SM420 has an exceptional compound low ratio of 7.05:1 in most applications.  The Ford pickup T18 ratio is commonly 6.32:1, which is plenty.  What I like about either transmission is the dramatic increase in gear and synchronizer stamina.

Keep us posted, I'm excited about your project!

Moses

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Moses. Well, you got me thinking that if I go through the change/upgrade I should really consider the T-18 transmission upgrade.

I’m thinking 225/231 replacement of the F-134. T-18 replacement of the T-90 but still paired with Spicer 18 transfer case. 
Will the engine and transmission upgrade with appropriate Advance Adapters be a pretty straight forward conversion? 
In addition should I consider still adding an OD? I still would like to keep the RPM’s reasonable at 45-50mph (top speed I plan driving) the motor power is to help get over hills in Vermont.
Note: The Jeep currently has a front twin stick Koenig PTO winch, will an OD fit with the T-18 and D-18?
Any other suggestions on the drivetrain?

Thanks for helping me re-think this project. I really would only like to do this once! 

Regards,

Todd

• Administrators

VTkorat...Glad you're considering a compound low 4-speed mated to your Spicer Model 18 transfer case.  There is a factory route with a T-98A transmission and adapter to the Model 18 transfer case.  However, the availability of a CJ T-98A with this adapter is slim.  The option was rare with four-cylinder models, and I personally have never seen a factory V-6 with a T-98 or T-18.  They allegedly exist.

As a result, the T-18 has become popular, similar to the T-98 but widely available as an OEM Ford truck application.  AMC/Jeep used the T-18 behind a Spicer 20 transfer case in the seventies, but that transmission is most often a "close-ratio" without the ultra low 6.32:1 compound 1st gear ratio found in the common 1967-84 Ford truck transmissions.

Advance Adapters focuses on the T-18 Ford transmissions.  The adapter kit to the transfer case includes the output/mainshaft of the transmission.  This provides an opportunity to tear down the T-18 and at least refresh the bearings, seals and gaskets at the same time.  Check with Advance Adapters on whether you need a 2WD or 4WD version of the Ford truck transmission with the current adapters available.

You still have a bellhousing to consider.  On the T-18 conversion, you would need either an adapter bellhousing or a stock Jeep/V-6 bellhousing plus an adapter plate to the T-18.  This added issue actually makes the SM420 or SM465 Muncie (GM) truck four-speed a smart option.  The SM420 transmission was common in 1947 to 1967/68 GM trucks.  1968-91 were years for the even more robust SM465.  Both are terrific transmissions when in good condition or refreshed, and they will last "forever" in a CJ Jeep

Advance Adapters has adapters for both the SM420 and SM465 to the Model 18 transfer case.  (You should have a 6-spline input with your vintage CJ.)  Between the engine and transmission, you could use a common GM manual transmission bellhousing for BOP (Buick/Olds/Pontiac) for a factory fit.  The stock Buick flywheel, clutch and release arm could be used.  Verify the appropriate crankshaft pilot bearing size...You would only need the transmission to transfer case adapter and the clutch release linkage.  Most builders upgrade from the vintage clutch cable to chain linkage (like I did with the '55 CJ in my Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Manual: 1946-71) or suitable hydraulic clutch linkage.  CJ V-6 clutch release linkage could also provide a prototype.

You will find all of the available adapters at the online catalog or I highly recommend calling the tech line at 1-800-350-2223 for up to date, current swap recommendations.  The team is friendly and helpful, they will walk you through the options, products and best practices.  Here are the kits listed online, there are likely other options:

https://www.advanceadapters.com/categories/adapter-kits/191/0/0/0/16/0/0/0/

Which bellhousing will you get with the engine?  Is it stock Dauntless for the T14/15?  Is there an adapter for the transmission?  If so, let's look at the pattern.  It's likely T14/15 or early on the T86/T90 pattern.  If you're on a tighter budget, the T14/T15 is synchromesh down to 1st gear unlike the T-90.  If you use a T14/T15, output spline count must match your transfer case input (likely 6-spline).  The T14 or 15 does not have the compound first gear ratio, it's a conventional 3-speed.

Moses 

Once again, Thank you. I will give AA a call to discuss adapters.  I think I’ve narrowed it down from your direction to upgrading with either the V6-231 that came from a 78 Buick Regal or the Dauntless 225. Both with about 50k miles and original bellhousing. For the transmission I’m going with 4-speed SM420 with the Spicer 18 transfer case. Hopefully this is a good combination.

Best.

• Administrators

VTkorat...This is a great combination.  So the '78 Regal had a manual transmission and bellhousing?  That's unusual, most were automatics.  The SM420 is actually a less costly proposition since you only need the adapter from the SM420 to the Spicer 18.  On that Dauntless package, is the bellhousing "stock" Buick with an adapter plate to the original Jeep transmission?  You want the stock B-O-P bellhousing to make the SM420 swap.

A B-O-P (Buick/Olds/Pontiac) bellhousing will work directly with the SM420 thanks to GM's consistency in transmission-to-bellhousing patterns and input shaft stick-out lengths.  Get the right crankshaft pilot bearing for the SM420 input.  You have 1947-68 versions of the SM420 as sources, two-wheel drive is common and consistent with the Advance Adapters transfer case adapter offerings.  AA does make a kit for the 4WD version of the SM420 as well, but factory 4WD applications from the sixties are rarer.  As I shared, you can use the stock Buick release arm or whichever one comes with the Dauntless 225 (if stock Buick) or Regal 231 V-6 (if a manual transmission) that you decide to use.

Here are the many bellhousings that work with the 225 or 231.  This is courtesy of Wikipedia.  Plenty of manual transmission applications in this mix.  This Wikipedia post covers all of the GM engines and bellhousings, this is the B-O-P section.  The B-O-P section of the post shows the B-O-P bellhousing pattern:

*Four bolt holes and two locator pins are common to the Chevrolet, and B-O-P patterns. Some transmissions, most notably the TH200-4R, take advantage of this by integrating both specifications into a "universal" bolt pattern casting.

Advance Adapters will be very helpful, this is a traditional, straightforward swap with many benefits...

Moses