Green Wire Hanging from Under Driver Side 1500 4x4

Lino79

• Administrators

Lino79...It appears to be a heavy gauge wire from the photos.  Looks like a possible lead from an auxiliary battery or high amperage aftermarket device.  Is this a utility truck with a welder?  Is there a winch or other heavy duty device(s) on the chassis?  

First-off, if you have a voltmeter, you can check to see whether this is a live/hot lead by holding one meter probe to the wire terminal and the other probe to ground at the frame.  If you get a 12V reading, this is a hot wire and should be isolated to prevent a short or worse.  If not hot, it could be a ground lead.

I would crawl beneath the truck and see whether the wire was attached to the frame.  There should be a screw and the rest of the terminal somewhere.  If attached to the frame, this is a ground lead.

Let us know what you find...

Moses

• Moses Ludel changed the title to Green Wire Hanging from Under Driver Side 1500 4x4

Thank you Moses. I appreciate your suggestion and knowledge of possibilities. Yes, the front has a winch heavy duty bumper. We discovered a male outlet plug that comes through the back seat floor as well. It is cold out and I plan to continue the search tomorrow and I will keep you posted.

Linda

• Administrators

Lino79...Yes, it's difficult to work on vehicles in extreme cold.  Sounds like an auxiliary cable that carried heavy amperage.  A winch, rear (bed) accessories or even a high output sound system could be the original reason for the cable.  Keep us posted...

Moses