2.5 tbi running rich but just after 5 minutes

My renix 2.5 tbi. (Wrangler) needs 0.5% co it has around 0.6 % after warming up for a few minutes. Then when running stationary and standing still, after 6 or 7 minutes it rises to 6%in a few seconds 🤯. I know i have a bad egr.. but could that be the problem?

Checked CTS , MAT 

replaced: MAP.

Thanks in advance.

• Administrators

Den1707...The purpose of the EGR is primarily to reduce NOx, not CO or HC.  If the EGR is stuck open at an idle, however, that could impact your CO readings.  The O2 sensor and fuel trim can be read if you have a scanner. 

Other possibilities:  a clogged exhaust (cat or muffler) or a dead cat.  If you have a simple infrared non-contact thermometer, read the catalytic converter from front to rear.  (A Flir thermal image works even better here.)  See if there are cold areas, indicating a clogged catalytic converter.  Check the muffler for clogging.

Let us know if this turns up something specific.  Higher CO can also be the result of tune issues, spark timing irregularities or the fuel pressure at the TBI regulator.

Moses