Dodge Dakota Aisin AX15 Transmission Trouble

Hello all. I am having an issue with an AX-15 and hope I can get some answers here. When out of the truck, I could turn the input shaft by hand in any gear and not be able to hold the output shaft from spinning. Once I installed the trans in the truck, I started it and ran it in every gear without any issues. Once I put the driveshaft in, the trans does not spin the driveshaft in any gear, and it makes a growling noise. Any idea what could be causing my issue? Thank you in advance for any wisdom you may be able to share.

• Administrators

Hi, cannonball...If the transmission input gear teeth were stripped or damaged, you could still rotate the output shaft in fourth gear.  So that's not likely.

If you have a 4WD, I would look to the transfer case for the trouble.  The transfer case may not be engaged in either high or low range.  If 2WD, your problem might be stripped splines in the driveshaft's front coupler/slip yoke.  You would be hearing the ratcheting of the transmission output shaft within the slip yoke coupler.

Does that help?  If not, let us know...

Moses

• Administrators

cannonball...Couldn't open the video, can you upload it to YouTube and provide a link? 

Did you have the transmission apart?  Is there any distinction between the growl in the gears when you place the transmission in fourth gear?  The other gears?  Reverse?  How about Neutral with the clutch pedal released?  Same noise regardless?

Moses 

• Administrators

cannonball...Thanks for the YouTube graphic...You have severely damaged parts in this AX15.  My AX15 transmission rebuild rental at Vimeo-On-Demand is popular and an asset for the work you're about to undertake.  The prototype in the video is a 4x4 application, but the steps for disassembly and assembly will apply to your 2WD transmission.  Sequencing of steps during the disassembly and assembly is crucial. 

Here's the trailer for the how-to rental video.  The actual rental is one-hour and 34 minutes long at https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ax15rebuild...You can decide whether to rent the video or go this on your own.  I suggest having a factory service manual or equivalent available whether you rent the video or not.  The AX15 is a busy transmission:

• Moses Ludel changed the title to Dodge Dakota Aisin AX15 Transmission Trouble
  • Administrators

cannonball...Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.  As for a solution, there are AX15 transmission parts available in the Jeep aftermarket if you want to repair your transmission.  It needs some major parts, which can be confirmed after teardown.   

Advance Adapters is a direct dealer for Aisin and sells brand new factory-built AX15 units.  The prototype application is 4WD 1997-2000 TJ Wrangler.  I checked Mopar parts listings to see whether the 4WD output shaft interchanges with the 2WD output shaft:  The part numbers are different.  The 4WD transmission will not work for your application, even if you could swap the tailhousings.  The output shafts are not the same.

The NV3500 transmission was transitioned into the parts line-up to replace the AX15 in Jeep models (as the NV3550) and Dakota pickups (NV3500).  Mopar listings show both Aisin and NV transmissions available in late nineties Dakota (AN) trucks.  You might be able to broaden your used transmission search with an NV3500.  GM also used the NV3500 in the S-trucks, though you would need to confirm input splines, bellhousing fit, output splines and such.  The NV3500 is out of production, so parts for that transmission are less likely to be available than for an AX15.

Of course, a used AX15 transmission may be available.  The caution here is that we're talking about a twenty-plus year old donor transmission with high mileage.  That's a gamble.  Not sure what your budget and time can afford.  These transmissions are great when in good operating condition.  Although yours has suffered wear/damage, rebuilding the unit might be cost effective.  You won't know until teardown.  I have part numbers for Mopar replacement parts.

Moses 

• Administrators

You're welcome, cannonball, glad you found another AX15.  When you do tear down the current transmission, I would like to know what you find...If you can restore the transmission without great cost, you would have a spare unit.  Considering the condition and noise, you made a wise choice to move on.

Moses